Boot Fair Find

Last week if found 7 copies of The British Journal Of Photography from 1965 to 1973 (with gaps). There are some brilliant photographs of the era plus some insight of what was available camera wise.
There are some great war photos of the Vietnam War showing both sides. Not bad for £2.00.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Some great images especially the Vietnam shots I'm a big fan of Don M'cCullin who took some of the truly great shots during that conflict, nice find Steve.

Me too.

I was a bit gutted to miss his last exhibition in 2010 at the Imperial War Museum.

The Autobiography of his "Unreasonable Behaviour" is worth a read.

Dobbo25 said:
Some great images especially the Vietnam shots I'm a big fan of Don M'cCullin who took some of the truly great shots during that conflict, nice find Steve.

Me too.

I was a bit gutted to miss his last exhibition in 2010 at the Imperial War Museum.

That would have been really something to see it's a great pity you missed it.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/OVZe4rQKcls[/video]

Dobbo25 said:

Me too.

That would have been really something to see it's a great pity you missed it.

Hi Jamie , did you manage to go?

I've still got the documentary about him to watch that was on the BBC earlier this year. I told a friend at work to watch it as he hadn't really heard of him before, to say he was impressed was an understatement.

No I didn't see the exhibition Peter I only wished I did, I'll give you a little fact which you will probably know, the Hollywood actor Errol Flynn's son was a photo journalist in Vietnam he never returned and know one ever found out what happened to him, I'm a huge fan of Dorothea Lange and especially her work during the great American depression.

I've seen a lot of Dorotheas images over the years but I'll be truthful and I never really associated the pictures too her:blush: So I think a book will have to be ordered.

I had a bit of a scan through my Time Life book of great photographers and guess what? she isn't featured. A bit ironic considering they featured the work of Larry Burrows and other renowned war photographers, but not any of the images of Dorothea during the depression. My take on it is, it's ok to glorify war but we don't want images of our our own country depicted in a in a mess of our own making. :)

Now Larry Burrows, there's a book worth having if you can find one cheap enough.

Back
Top Bottom