Borax - How to clean a shaving brush?

I purchased a reasonably large tub of Borax. It's been rather handy in a few applications and I've also read that it's good to clean natural hair shaving brushes.

Have any of you good folk used Borax on your brushes and how do you actually use it?

I purchased a reasonably large tub of Borax. It's been rather handy in a few applications and I've also read that it's good to clean natural hair shaving brushes.

Have any of you good folk used Borax on your brushes and how do you actually use it?
Seems to be loads of video on youtube about this very subject.
personally i just use washing up liquid & shampoo, it seems to do the trick

Seems to be loads of video on youtube about this very subject.
personally i just use washing up liquid & shampoo, it seems to do the trick
YouTube..... that's such an obvious answer - I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Thanks Mike. I'm off to YouTube. No doubt I'll do that standard YouTube thing of looking at what I need before drifting in to some really random videos.

YouTube..... that's such an obvious answer - I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Thanks Mike. I'm off to YouTube. No doubt I'll do that standard YouTube thing of looking at what I need before drifting in to some really random videos.
I’m assuming your random videos are the same as mine :ROFLMAO: oh sorry wrong forum lol

Talking about cleaning brushes, etc. I've got a newish boar that seems to behave like a lather vacuum - the more I try to whip up a lather, the less is in the bowl! If I tried hard enough I think the bowl would end up clean. Is this a thing? Seems to happen with this brush regardless which soap or cream I use, yet my synthetic and my other natural brush have no such issues. Could it be I need to clean it with something other than soap/water? Does it just need more breaking in? Can't be just me as my other brushes work well, especially the synth.

Talking about cleaning brushes, etc. I've got a newish boar that seems to behave like a lather vacuum - the more I try to whip up a lather, the less is in the bowl! If I tried hard enough I think the bowl would end up clean. Is this a thing? Seems to happen with this brush regardless which soap or cream I use, yet my synthetic and my other natural brush have no such issues. Could it be I need to clean it with something other than soap/water? Does it just need more breaking in? Can't be just me as my other brushes work well, especially the synth.

Commonly called a "lather hog". Yes. there is a cure: a synthetic brush. :giggle:

Back on topic, I use borax to kill insects. To get rid of (most) ants simply mix a combo of borax, water & sugar in equal proportions and then soak some cotton balls with this mixture and place in various locations. Within a day there is an ant "genocide". (y)

I cannot however state with any scientific certainty that borax will kill the various types of cooties that have accumulated in your shaving brush, Boycie. :geek:

I’ve seen people recommend different things for breaking in a boar from leaving it soaking in lather in the fridge overnight...leaving it in water for 24hrs or more, I’m sure I saw something about putting the brush in the freezer too at one point dry I’m assuming but not sure. I recently had another go at breaking in my little men-u boar brush the other day I lathered and rinsed and dried it with the hairdryer and repeated the process 10 or more times it’s seemed to really help to soften it up and split the ends some..if you try this I would be very careful not to get the hairdryer too close in case it burns the bristles might be better starting on a low heat hope it’s of some help

Chris, I've never used Borax, but I clean my brushes with citric acid.

I put citric acid in hot water to dissolve it, then once it has cooled down I put my brushes into the citric acid water solution, then leave it for a few minutes, then I give them a quick shampoo to ensure there isn't any citric acid left.

To answer the question of the thread I have never heard of Borax but will now have a delve into what it is..to clean my brushes I use hibbiscrub it’s what surgeons use and it’s suitable for use on hair and skin so I guessed it would be safe to use on my brushes I lather them up in a small amount and allow them to sit for a few minutes then rinse. I have it prescribed for a skin condition but you can buy it too

Chris, I've never used Borax, but I clean my brushes with citric acid.

I put citric acid in hot water to dissolve it, then once it has cooled down I put my brushes into the citric acid water solution, then leave it for a few minutes, then I give them a quick shampoo to ensure there isn't any citric acid left.
Thanks Shubs (y)

To answer the question of the thread I have never heard of Borax but will now have a delve into what it is..to clean my brushes I use hibbiscrub it’s what surgeons use and it’s suitable for use on hair and skin so I guessed it would be safe to use on my brushes I lather them up in a small amount and allow them to sit for a few minutes then rinse. I have it prescribed for a skin condition but you can buy it too
The logic for the Borax is that it removes dried soap deep in the knot of the brush thereby preventing mould and hair shedding. I'm not familiar with hibbiscrub - reckon it would do that?

The logic for the Borax is that it removes dried soap deep in the knot of the brush thereby preventing mould and hair shedding. I'm not familiar with hibbiscrub - reckon it would do that?
Ahh prevention of mould and shedding sounds excellent..I honestly couldn’t say I just know it’s designed to kill all bacteria it’s brilliant for keeping it clean but perhaps the borax would be a better alternative will have to give it a go

Do you have a link Chris to where you purchased it..borax itself seems to be banned here in the UK due to the dangers to reproductive health, there are alternatives available are soda crystals the same thing do you know ?

Do you have a link Chris to where you purchased it..borax itself seems to be banned here in the UK due to the dangers to reproductive health, there are alternatives available are soda crystals the same thing do you know ?
I purchased this stuff :

Back
Top Bottom