Bread...something new.

They are like children, sometimes only a mother (or father) could luv' em. :lol:

This one wasn't as holey as the picture suggests, a couple of slices in and the crumb was much more moderate.

The local shop were sold out of bread (in fact just about everything). I believe snow had something to do with it. Anyway, I remembered this thread and bought a bag of floor and some yeast. The result was great tasting bread. :D :D :D

[attachment=0]

Welcome to the brotherhood, looks really good. :D

Good crumb?

Hunny and I are slightly masionic, you will now have to identify yourself to us as a true convert by the sign of the melted fingertips.

burned.jpg

antdad said:
Welcome to the brotherhood, looks really good. :D

Good crumb?

Hunny and I are slightly masionic, you will now have to identify yourself to us as a true convert by the sign of the melted fingertips.

burned.jpg

Sorry. I melt my fingertips for no man, but I was wearing an apron when I made it. :lol:

The crumb was very good but whether this was accidental or not, I can't say. The next loaf will reveal all.

Kevin

The baker in the YouTube video linked earlier in the thread talked about "all-purpose flour"; is that what we would call plain flour in the UK? I'd normally use strong flour for bread.

I think the journo gets that wrong and the baker lets it go or any explanation/correction was was edited out. "All-purpose" flour is plain flour as you say.

I tried the recipe yesterday; it's great. The flavour reminded me a little of crumpets. My six year old son ate the crust first and then the crumb, whereas six hours earlier at lunch, he left the crusts of a sandwich made with supermarket bread.

You're right antdad, it was the journo that mentioned all-purpose flour in that video, but the baker does say it specifically in this video though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmUIj9FswU&feature=related

I'll try using plain flour only for the next loaf to compare.

He does, I'm surprised by that to be honest. See how you get on. I thought all highly leavened bread needed to be made with high gluten/protein flour for structural reasons. It could just be that the "all purpose" plain flour he uses happens to have enough gluten/protein content anyway, whereas UK sourced plain flour probably wouldn't because of climate/wheat type?

If you can leave the loaf for 24hrs it does dry out or try a bit longer cooking time. I cook mine for 40mins covered on MAX, then 20 mins uncovered with lowered temp. Usually leave it overnight and day before touching it.

From a non-rigorous study of two brands, the protein in US all purpose flour looks pretty close to UK plain flour:

Allinson plain flour 10.3% protein
http://allinsonflour.co.uk/products/nf-plain-white-flour.html

Allinson strong white bread flour 12.1% protein
http://allinsonflour.co.uk/products/strong-white-bread-flour.html

Gold Medal All Purpose Flour 10.5% protein (this is the flour listed on the Target website, so should be fairly mainstream)
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/choosing-flour-for-baking.aspx

I might try making some with plain flour for my mum, she has a bit of trouble with her gums.

The bread standard does seem the same, judging by the pigmentation I have a feeling that Lahey's flour is a rather high quality "all purpose" and maybe nearer 12% than 10% protein but see for yourself it'll be interesting.

I think the mystery is over, according to my food encyclopedia by Harold Mcgee it seems not all US "All-purpose" flour is alike.

Approximate Protein Contents of Common Wheat Flours %

Bread 12-13%
All-purpose (US. national brands) 11-12%
All-purpose (US. regional brands, South, Pacific Northwest) 7.5-9.5%
English plain 7-10%

I made a loaf with a 10% protein plain flour at the weekend and it was great; probably tastier than the strong flour loaf from the week before. The crumpety flavour was less pronounced, but this dough did prove for a few hours longer, so this may have had more effect than the protein content?

Proving for longer will certainly help develop more flavour, protein content should affect structure. What was the crumb like?

Back
Top Bottom