Brush stadards

TeP

First real question. Is there a set standard for badger brushes? ie. type, softness, length, and so on. I seem to find all sorts of descriptions all over the place.

Thanks in advance.

No. There are no "industry" standard descriptions. Some terms are common others are not. Just keep browsing and you will learn enough to make your own decisions. My shaving brush blog was an attempt at shedding a bit of light.(There's a link at the foot of my signature) But around the internet now you will find answers to any questions you are likely to come up with.

Good question. There are loads of different brushes available and knowing what they will be like before you buy them can seem like a bit of a lottery.

There is some good info here though which should help you make a choice.

http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/?m=0

GOG said:
First real question. Is there a set standard for badger brushes? ie. type, softness, length, and so on. I seem to find all sorts of descriptions all over the place.

Thanks in advance.

As has already been said, no. Even though 90%+ of the hair comes from China.

The length is a choice of the brush maker. The loft is controlled by how deep of a hole has been drilled into the handle. We can predict how floppy a brush will be by using the diameter and loft ratio.

[/quote]

As has already been said, no. Even though 90%+ of the hair comes from China.

The length is a choice of the brush maker. The loft is controlled by how deep of a hole has been drilled into the handle. We can predict how floppy a brush will be by using the diameter and loft ratio.
[/quote]

I would say that the length is suggested by the customer and the brush maker takes this into consideration when making the brush ;)

Gary

Back
Top Bottom