Brushless Shaving Cream

I tried brushless lathering on my holidays recently. I used Clinique shave gel (which was a freebie). It worked extemely well and lathered beautifully, considering that the water was rather hard. But I ended up missing using a brush... so I'd seriously think about Helveticum's comments above.
For myself, I'm going to give Proraso cream a try (I thought the menthol scent would go rather well in hot climates). I've found I can lather it up cream really well in a used yoghurt carton... so carrying a bowl is not a problem. A shave stick is a good idea, though... I'd probably go for Speick rather than Tabac... they're both excellent latherers but the Speick is smaller and lighter (and smells nicer)

To all,
Thanks for all the replies with suggestions, including getting up 10 mins earlier. Will try some of the suggested products in due course. Already bought some Kiehl's White Eagle last night to try out. Anybody tried this recently?

tried the kiehls a few weeks back, despite the cost of their products, Kiehls is one of my top brands especially their facial fuel and balm. The brushless is not too bad, but for the price I would rather get three tubes of ingrams, a travel toothbrush or nail brush and lather my face.

Nobody has said it yet but Ursa Major from nkdman. I had a sample of that and for brushless cream - very good. Free delivery, shave points reward scheme, excellent customer service, price match, SR10 discount code. No reason why not.

Nishy said:
tried the kiehls a few weeks back, despite the cost of their products, Kiehls is one of my top brands especially their facial fuel and balm. The brushless is not too bad, but for the price I would rather get three tubes of ingrams, a travel toothbrush or nail brush and lather my face.

I like Kiehls stuff too, got the balm and brushless cream as presents. The cream's okay but clogs up the razor if you put it on too thickly.

cheesepiece said:
Nobody has said it yet but Ursa Major from nkdman. I had a sample of that and for brushless cream - very good. Free delivery, shave points reward scheme, excellent customer service, price match, SR10 discount code. No reason why not.
I tried the Ursa Major cream and thought it was absolutely rubbish.

I've tried Kiiehls and a few others but this was by far the worst but that's just my opinion.

But the service from Anthony at NKDMan was superb as usual. :)

Just an update on my Brushless quest. Took the Kiehl's White Eagle brushless on holiday for 2 weeks and have to say it was disappointing for the price. The lather just 'disappears' within minutes!!! - leaving a very dry, bumpy shave. Lucky I also took some basic Real Shave Cream. Works fine. Just ordered some Liz Earle as suggested and also come across a new one from Urbane Male. Will be trying both soon.

Another update on the Brushless search. Have just tried the Liz Earle Sensitive Shave Cream and I have to say it scores quite highly for me. Nice glide and lubrication, no burn or 'razor scrape' and the fragrance grows on you. Seems to be packed with natural oils which probably accounts for its good performance. Recommended.

Picked up some 'Groomed' Shaving Cream in my local Asda and thought it was worth trying. As a brushless cream it performs reasonably well for the relatively low price. Upon closer inspection it turns out to be from Real Shaving Co and it's ingredients are almost identical to Real Shaving Co, which in turn is almost identical to the Natural Grooming Co (NG) shave creams. All of these are made by Creightons I believe. It just makes me wonder why Creightons would choose to have 3 brands, with almost identical products, in similar packaging, with similar fragrance and at similar pricing? What is the point?

I know that Creightons also make the St James of London range. Has anybody tried their Mandarin & Patchouli Brushless Shaving Cream? Or is that just another version of the other 3 brands in their stable?

Hi, I have discovered Anthony Logistics Shave Cream to be excellent. I had been using Space NK's own and then bought this instead. Can't fault it and in fact I think my brush and bowl will become redundant. It is creamy and after the first pass it is still sufficiently creamy to go over again to finish off. I use a Muhle open comb with Feather blades and it works wonderfully. It's certainly worth a try.
Sorry, it is not a lathering soapy shave cream but just a cream - it is excellent though

Scaramouche and Fandango shave cream is nice. Great scent too.

However, as mentioned above I too missed using my brush so I've put it up for trade.

I just face lather with a dab of cream on the brush straight to my mush if I'm in that much of a hurry.

To be honest it's never really an issue though as I tend to shave in the evenings as opposed to mornings. That way any razor burn or nicks can heal over night.

Greyduster said:
Hi, I have discovered Anthony Logistics Shave Cream to be excellent. I had been using Space NK's own and then bought this instead. Can't fault it and in fact I think my brush and bowl will become redundant. It is creamy and after the first pass it is still sufficiently creamy to go over again to finish off. I use a Muhle open comb with Feather blades and it works wonderfully. It's certainly worth a try.
Sorry, it is not a lathering soapy shave cream but just a cream - it is excellent though

Yes, I completely agree with you. Have used Anthony Logistics on and off for a few years now and I keep coming back to it. Just needs a small amount on the finger tips and it lathers up well without a mass of foam to clog up the razor. Pleasant smell too. One of my favourites.

hando said:
avoid the Boots and Ingrams versions i found them very poor
Myrasol Emulsion might be a better bet

Hando,
I have to say I have moved on from these creams a number of years ago. As I remember them, the Boots is a fairly 'soapy' cream without much else in it. Reasonable shave at very low cost though. The Ingrams is well documented on this forum, so I will not add to the clutter. It contains menthol as I remember and I am not really a menthol fan.

Changing subject, I was clearing out the cabinet the other day and came across a Burts Bees Shaving Cream. I gave it another try and now remember why I stopped using it. Don't know if it has been sitting too long but it gives absolutely no lather whatsoever. Binned.

Few years onward, what is the direction to go for a high quality easily available in Europe brushless gel?

I've tried Proraso which I found quite good. any other I should try?

Back
Top Bottom