Bulldog shaving cream

Due to having to take medication first thing on Monday mornings, and not being allowed to eat anything for an hour afterwards, I've taken to having a quick shave while I'm waiting. I can't perform a full shave, as, for the first half hour, I have to sit bolt upright - leaning to rinse my face is vorboten, so I've been using Proraso green SC without a brush, performing a WTG pass only, or, at most, one WTG and one hybrid WTG/XTG pass.

While buying ingredients to make our Christmas pudding in the supermarket earlier this week, my dad noticed the Bulldog cream and asked me if I'd tried it. Curiosity got the better of me, so I bought a tube, and decided to use it this morning. My intention was, if I liked it, to use it on Mondays, thereby saving my Proraso for bowl lathering, which is my preferred method with creams. After a brief face prep, I squeezed a very generous amount onto my left palm, rubbed it between my hands, and massaged it into my face and neck, only to find it seemingly vanishing. Following a rapid WTG pass, I gave up, rinsed and applied some Nivea Sensitive ASB. Though lubrication provided was good, it seemed greasy and oily, so much so that the razor I'd selected, my Rocket HD, became difficult to hold. Admittedly, the texturing on a Rocket isn't the roughest, but neither is it as smooth as my lined handle EJ DE89 either. Post-shave feel was oily and unpleasant, the aroma didn't do anything for me, and, at £3.50 for a 100ml tube, I felt it was overpriced given that I used the same amount of cream that I would for bowl-lathering with a Trumpers product (from which I get 3 passes plus enough left in the brush for touch-ups), yet this was barely sufficient for a single pass.

Does anyone else have any views on it?

Pretty much the same as your experience with me Chris. I use the face wash, scrub and moisturiser which started when my wife bought me an array last Christmas. They work well for me and I like that they are a British success and no parabenes etc. The shave cream and gel however I binned. Really couldn't get comfortable with them at all. You're not alone m8.

JohnnyO. o/

Pretty much the same as your experience with me Chris. I use the face wash, scrub and moisturiser which started when my wife bought me an array last Christmas. They work well for me and I like that they are a British success and no parabenes etc. The shave cream and gel however I binned. Really couldn't get comfortable with them at all. You're not alone m8.

JohnnyO. o/

Cheers Johnny. I like the sound of the face wash, as, though I normally use a glycerine face soap, I sometimes find it a bit drying. Once I've got rid of the useless cream, I'll have space on my shelf for a tube of face wash! How much do you find you need to use?

I've used The Real Shaving Co cream in a tube and found that excellent as a cream to apply without a brush. Only £1.50 from Home Bargains, TKMaxx have it but more expensive

I've used The Real Shaving Co cream in a tube and found that excellent as a cream to apply without a brush. Only £1.50 from Home Bargains, TKMaxx have it but more expensive
I'd second that. I was using it before I switched over to the more interesting products talked about here. Savers stock it too.

Very small amount, perhaps a large pea size or so covers my wet face and neck with a satisfactory coating Chris. It doesn't lather like a conventional soap, however in my fairly soft water it cleanses my oily skin well without stripping the natural oils which would just make my face like an oil slick by early afternoon. It's never been drying at all for me and a tube seems to last forever. Nice to see you posting, sorry things still sounding a bit trying for you. Remember, next to Sheldon Cooper the messy pooper you're my best chance ever to say I'm pals with a candidate for a Nobel prize.

Johnny.

Same results with me, the sensitive face wash and the original scrub are both good and work well for me but the shaving cream just doesn't cut it for me

I've just picked up another couple of tubes of this (the sensitive version by the way) after a stint in 2013. I'm a big fan of the Bulldog range, wallet friendly and very good performing products. I already use the face wash and scrub. The scent is slightly strange but it doesn't clog up the razor with unnecessary foam, and gives a very very smooth comfortable shave. The rinse is just as good as the shave as I can feel just how smooth my skin is after!! And for £3.49 its excellent value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom