Calling All ‘Fat’ Fans…

Paul, I've not got around to using batch 9029, merely that I bought some from that batch.

@exists has actually used it from that batch and he said it worked well from what I gather.

Ah yes, that's right ... I tested his previous purchase and found it sub-par but not as bad as the one I got from @NatJag which was a proper dud! Yes, he bought a Kent puck and found it everything we know and love about a (good) cake of the Fat. So, yes, hopefully you'll find the same.

Truth be known, I think the Salter hard tallow puck is better. It's too bad more people don't use it as it's probably not going to be around forever.

One thing we know about shaving soaps is, even if the name remains the formula can change. That's the joy of vintage. Bag a cake or two now for prosperity. Likely this soap (and in its other guise as DR Harris) will undergo a tallow removal as is the direction of many such established names at the moment.

One thing we know about shaving soaps is, even if the name remains the formula can change. That's the joy of vintage. Bag a cake or two now for prosperity. Likely this soap (and in its other guise as DR Harris) will undergo a tallow removal as is the direction of many such established names at the moment.

Agree. For those who like their tallow soaps, I would recommend to start hoarding... Now!

I have a suspicion Arko/Derby will be the next ones to reformulate and take the tallow out to an entirely palm oil formulation.

I have just ordered two cake's of MWF from the shaving shack, I'm assuming that the batch numbers are the same, I will do a test lathering one one and if ok I think it would be safe to order more straight away from the Shave Shack and providing the batch numbers are the same they will be a safe bet , I can't see the batch numbers being different from the same seller at roughly the same time.
I will let you know as soon as possible what the outcome is.

Paul.

I had been toying with hoarding the Fat but am a bit wary now.
How likely are you to guarantee a specific batch number when you order? If you ask will they honour it?

I would imagine not.

Still, with just two confirmed dud batches in a good thousand over the last two years, I'd say the balance of probability is still that you'll get a good one. Thing is, we don't know how big the batches are ... but a good guess is, if a vendor gets stock from a bad batch then that's going to be what they'll be selling for a while. I had hoped in the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfat thread that we could collate both good and bad purchasing experiences - when purchased, who from and batch number.

Purchasing is ongoing and that data would be useful and helpful for folks who already have a cake on the go. Given how we all generally have a LOT of soap, anyone with existing good cakes will no doubt still be using them next year ... or even the year after and so won't be purchasing again any time soon. But again, purchasing is ongoing.

In a decade of traditional shaving, I've bought six cakes (I think ... all good), had a potential dud donated (which turned out to be good ... user error), had a cake gifted (thanks @Satanfriendly ... tested and good), snagged a potential dud cake out of sheer curiosity to find it was indeed a dud and had a scraping from a potentially dud cake to find it sub-par but not as bad as the real dud. I'm not quite sure what that experience says, but the I am of the firm belief that the so-called dud cakes a going back a few years are not and are labelled so by user error. I am also of the firm belief that the truly dud batches came out during early lockdown (spring 2020) and susequently relieved to find back to normal by the summer/autumn of 2020. Seeing another dud batch recently is disheartening, but again, two batches later and it's confirmed good. Whether that smacks of sloppy workmanship or sub-standard ingredients or even different producers, who knows. Unlikely Mitchell's would tell us.

But again, a dud rate of 0.2% is concering, but the balance of probability is ... you'll get good cakes. Trumpers, on the other hand, is a guaranteed fail!

I wonder if Kent use a Kent specific Batch number rather than the original Mitchells number? I would imagine the Kent throughput is much lower than Mitchells so this may just be catch up to the time of the original dud batch?

I wonder if Kent use a Kent specific Batch number rather than the original Mitchells number? I would imagine the Kent throughput is much lower than Mitchells so this may just be catch up to the time of the original dud batch?

Last known Mitchell's is 9027 ... last known Kent is 9029. I'd say they follow suit. Soap is produced and then packed into different wrappers. Batches increment.

It's perhaps dud pucks appearing over the years that causes the 'how to lather MWF' threads. Someone has a good puck, gets good lather from a method they use, and that's then how you have to later it. Truth is, it was just because it was a good puck. I live in a hard water area (London) and manage ok. I don't bloom the puck first, others (on another forum) insist you must. Probably doesn't matter if you bloom of not.
I would definitely get back to the seller about the duff puck. Mitchells probably don't know, and others that can't lather it, from first try of MWF, probably just think they haven't got the knack. Where it's actually a duff puck.

I’ve got my dud 8923 cake blooming in its pot with the lid on. I’ve been saying a few prayers to St. Mitchell and hoping he deigns to perform a miracle. A few days soaking and I’ll try again but I ain’t holding my breath…

Meanwhile, I’ve been using the Hampshire Pretender which is marvellous stuff. Everything you could want from a shaving soap. Let’s see some of ye gents post in the SotD section with your Hampshire Fat.

I’ve been following this thread for awhile and thought I’d better open up a couple of packages I received in the latter part of last year .
I was in no rush to open them up , I still have a lot of mileage left in my current puck of MWF but seeing this good / bad batch number business I thought I’d better take a look .
Number one box was from Kent , three pucks in total , one in their wooden bowl , all batch number 9139 .

Number two box was from a vendor whose name I can not remember , this is the MWF box , it also contains three pucks , one in the ceramic bowl .
Here’s the problem , I can’t see a batch number anywhere , all I see is some sort of barcode , please see picture.
Has the batch number identification method been changed ?image.jpg

I would imagine not.

Still, with just two confirmed dud batches in a good thousand over the last two years, I'd say the balance of probability is still that you'll get a good one. Thing is, we don't know how big the batches are ... but a good guess is, if a vendor gets stock from a bad batch then that's going to be what they'll be selling for a while. I had hoped in the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfat thread that we could collate both good and bad purchasing experiences - when purchased, who from and batch number.

Purchasing is ongoing and that data would be useful and helpful for folks who already have a cake on the go. Given how we all generally have a LOT of soap, anyone with existing good cakes will no doubt still be using them next year ... or even the year after and so won't be purchasing again any time soon. But again, purchasing is ongoing.

In a decade of traditional shaving, I've bought six cakes (I think ... all good), had a potential dud donated (which turned out to be good ... user error), had a cake gifted (thanks @Satanfriendly ... tested and good), snagged a potential dud cake out of sheer curiosity to find it was indeed a dud and had a scraping from a potentially dud cake to find it sub-par but not as bad as the real dud. I'm not quite sure what that experience says, but the I am of the firm belief that the so-called dud cakes a going back a few years are not and are labelled so by user error. I am also of the firm belief that the truly dud batches came out during early lockdown (spring 2020) and susequently relieved to find back to normal by the summer/autumn of 2020. Seeing another dud batch recently is disheartening, but again, two batches later and it's confirmed good. Whether that smacks of sloppy workmanship or sub-standard ingredients or even different producers, who knows. Unlikely Mitchell's would tell us.

But again, a dud rate of 0.2% is concering, but the balance of probability is ... you'll get good cakes. Trumpers, on the other hand, is a guaranteed fail!

Some fascinating points in here which provide a lot to consider.

I'd never even considered that someone else might be making the shaving soap sense but it begins to make sense. The cakes of soap that created a dissipating lather sound eerily like some of the ones made by Culmak be it the ones they briefly made for Czech and Speake (and maybe Trumpers?), the ones which had a lot of Sodium compounds on the ingredients list but no Potassium ones. That could explain why some MWF cakes do not lather, but it would lead to the question that a product is being sold with an ingredients list that doesn't match it's packaging.

I get the impression that over the years most people buy the Fat and love using it, but some people get absolute stinkers that do not lather for love nor money. It could be down to Mitchell's having a few different suppliers who one of whom might have issues with QC.

Again these are only speculative theories.

I’ve been following this thread for awhile and thought I’d better open up a couple of packages I received in the latter part of last year .
I was in no rush to open them up , I still have a lot of mileage left in my current puck of MWF but seeing this good / bad batch number business I thought I’d better take a look .
Number one box was from Kent , three pucks in total , one in their wooden bowl , all batch number 9139 .

Number two box was from a vendor whose name I can not remember , this is the MWF box , it also contains three pucks , one in the ceramic bowl .
Here’s the problem , I can’t see a batch number anywhere , all I see is some sort of barcode , please see picture.
Has the batch number identification method been changed ?View attachment 100519

Generally the batch number appears by the ingredients list. Is there one on your new box?

Back
Top Bottom