Can I use it gel?

Hello guys,

My apologies if this a stupid question but, whats the difference from using shaving soaps
to shaving gel from a can?

Thanks

Michael

Well it's more full of chemicals than soaps and creams.
It's a compressed gas so harmful fir environment. More waste to get rid of when empty. They don't last as long as a soap/ cream.

Where's the fun in using it half gte fun of shaving is trying different stuff and seeing what your lather us like with them.

You will get a better shave and better skint care with a brushed on product

One is cold and has virtually no moisture in it so it has a cocktail of chemicals to soften the beard.

The other is warm (if you want it that way) or cold (if you want it that way) and uses water to soften your beard. Depending on the soap there can be a huge cocktail of chemicals too, or not...

It's a generally (and fervently) held belief amongst traditional shavers that soap or cream applied with a brush prepares the beard better and protects the skin more. It's really a keystone of wet shaving and there are few detractors from the belief.

I find foam from a can is kind of airy and doesn't protect that well, it also tends to sit on the beard rather than penetrating the beard to form a layer on the skin. Made properly, traditional lather should be thick and protective.

Traditional soaps also tend to smell good, condition the skin (depending on the make), and have a mystique you don't get from a can.

Our forum dobermann Vinny will be along shortly to disagree violently, but probably most others won't be supporters of foam or gel.

Shaving is about what works for you.

Personally I used a brush and soap with a Gillette fusion for a few years, before discovering DE and my feather AC.
I had better shaves with the cartridge and soap than with the gels.
I would rather go back to a cartridge razor than go back to gels.

Canuck said:
Our forum dobermann Vinny will be along shortly to disagree violently, but probably most others won't be supporters of foam or gel.

I'm a "whatever works to get the job done" sort of bloke.

Soap, cream, gel, foam, oil, whatever.

If you like gel and see no reason to switch, then you probably won't have the patience to practice your soap or cream lathering technique, and, IMO, bad lather from a traditional soap or cream is inferior to canned gel. Having said that, and again I stress IMO (In My Opinion), well-made traditional lather is much better than anything from an aerosol can. Previous posts have mentioned most of the differences; for me, the synthetic lubricants used are a second-rate substitute for the natural lubrication provided by moisture and a well-mixed lather, the scents are usually much nicer, the post-shave skincare is better, and there's a great satisfaction from preparing a really nice lather and working it into your beard growth.

The main difference is that gel is normally applied by hand, whereas soaps are applied by shaving brush. Gel enables you to see where you are shaving due its transparency. However, you can use a shaving brush to apply gel, but it may thin out too much.

I think gel may be designed more for cartridge razors, for a quick shave. I recently got given a can of gel (Boots No7) which I will eventually use but with my usual double edge razor.

Some gels, like King of Shaves, and Groomed for example, come in plastic tubes.

Tim B said:
I think gel may be designed more for cartridge razors, for a quick shave. I recently got given a can of gel (Boots No7) which I will eventually use but with my usual double edge razor.

Not to derail the thread, but I've been meaning to review that stuff. I think it's surprisingly good - probably the best gel I've used - even better than the Clinique which has been my benchmark. I prefer the fun of soap lathering, but when I need a quick shave, that one is great. It offers enough protection to have a quick shave with a DE, rather than a cartridge.

Just make sure you reapply between passes.

Brianpilman said:
Well it's more full of chemicals than soaps and creams.
It's a compressed gas so harmful fir environment. More waste to get rid of when empty. They don't last as long as a soap/ cream.

You will get a better shave and better skint care with a brushed on product

hunnymonster said:
One is cold and has virtually no moisture in it so it has a cocktail of chemicals to soften the beard.

Canuck said:
It's a generally (and fervently) held belief amongst traditional shavers that soap or cream applied with a brush prepares the beard better and protects the skin more. It's really a keystone of wet shaving and there are few detractors from the belief.

I find foam from a can is kind of airy and doesn't protect that well, it also tends to sit on the beard rather than penetrating the beard to form a layer on the skin. Made properly, traditional lather should be thick and protective.

Traditional soaps also tend to smell good, condition the skin (depending on the make), and have a mystique you don't get from a can.

You've had plenty of superb responses in this thread, so you have enough to make a decision.

In order to make the gel product dispensable from a can, they have to add certain chemicals to the gel (think it's butane, but don't quote me on that) which in the long turn can end up drying-out your skin. I would have sworn the can was better ten years ago, but believe me, once you have a wet brush, soaked in lather, preparing your beard, you are bound to feel the difference for yourself.

As we call our hobby wet shaving, it means it involves water to some extent and in one way or another. That means you need to add water (i.e. moisture) to keep the face wet throughout the shave, not take moisture out. A shaving soap or cream is the only way you can achieve that IMHO.

I also found this article very helpful:
http://www.today.com/id/6886845/ns/today-today_weekend_edition/t/how-get-perfect-shave/

Clinique gel or cream is very good. It comes out of a dispenser or tube rather than a can. As good as brush and soap... Almost... But a brush is more fun. I've used it for quality shaves while travelling light... And it was a freebie.

I thought I would at that King of Shaves have launched their Hyperglide razor which has gel chemically bonded into the cartridge (5 blades with a rear one). So you only have to add water and shave.

Back
Top Bottom