can someone please explain the term "shaving den"

Shaving den...Americanism for someone with more bathrooms in their house than needed thus allowing a Gentleman to put his shaving gear out of the wife's way. ;)

its not an Americanism, no one can really surmise where it came from other then general chatting on the shave forums a few years ago. Its one of those things that simply are used to make a person feel better about shaving, in a sense it COULD and should be considered a way to poke fun at the elitists and their elitist limited edition razors, soaps, and brushes.

Everybody has to find a place to shave, and what better way to poke fun at elitism then giving the washroom a fancy term?

Back in the 20s and 30s I have seen period advertising for razors and razor blades and soaps and creams, and they had guys shaving in the utility closet hunkered over a dirty looking mop bucket sink, guys shaving in subway station bathrooms, and I believe I saw one that had a guy shaving using a bowl of hot water and a hand mirror out in the woods to advertise the Gillette military type razor set with mirror and pushpins..
"shave anywhere you want, fisherman, lumberjack, hunter, etc"

and a lot of people use that term because they just feel silly and stupid for having to shave with a 90-200$ razor, right next to their toilet.

I always thought it sounded strange. Burrowing animals live in dens. I have a typical English bathroom -- translation: no room for anything near what I have for shaving. All of my hardware and software is in my bedroom. The implements of destruction for the daily shave are carried from there to the bathroom, and back again. The picture in the Shaveologist article is less a shaving den, and more of a shaving bombsite.

at wise ass remarks.

snicker all you want, but you have no idea how many people are embarrassed to say they shave in the bathroom, right next to the toilet.

I went to college with a kid who was embarrassed to say he had even been in a bathroom, he had some psychological issue with toilets. it was bad enough that when the previous person hadn't flushed, hed walk half a mile to the main college buildings to use a toilet there.

I have a 23 year old Prince Charming living at home. Mummy's little Soldier, similar to Sheridan from Keeping up appearances.
I'm quite used to going into the bathroom only to find His royal highness could not be bothered to flush to toilet or God forbid put the lid down. Of course if I say anything about going into my shave den and seeing the Captains log staring up at me then of course it wasn't him! I must get a priest in to exorcise the ghost that keeps leaving turds in our bog.

I have a 23 year old Prince Charming living at home. Mummy's little Soldier, similar to Sheridan from Keeping up appearances.
I'm quite used to going into the bathroom only to find His royal highness could not be bothered to flush to toilet or God forbid put the lid down. Of course if I say anything about going into my shave den and seeing the Captains log staring up at me then of course it wasn't him! I must get a priest in to exorcise the ghost that keeps leaving turds in our bog.

I've a sixteen year old lad who in SWMBO's eyes can do no wrong. It's a mother son thing I'm sure. He plays it to the full too ! He gets away with murder ! He's a good enough lad, just around the home he's a lazy git and mum will sort it for him !

My daughter though plays mum up, she's far better for me. I've a no nonsense approach which works better with my daughter we have a good relationship where she knows that dad is in charge.

But both get the same approach, it's a calm and collected one. SWMBO is great don't get me wrong, but very easily wound up by my daughter.

Back
Top Bottom