Car buying

I see...50k on the clock is pretty restrictive and I mean that most cars have done that within three to five years so you're looking for fairly new.

Personally I'd probably loosen the reigns on that and it'll give you a bit more choice especially as you're willing to consider diesel 50k is just about run in.

What about Sat Nav's? Looking to get a Garmin one but there's several of them. Is paying more for it necessarily better?

As for breakdown cover still looking around, haven't taken Xena out for a ride (no dirty joke intended) so can wait a few days.

Haha indeed! I've been with these guys for about £12 years and they've always paid up quickly.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/autoaid/breakdown_services.jsp

£41 PA
Car Breakdown Cover from AutoAid
All-inclusive breakdown insurance the cheap way!

Benefit from:
A full year's wide-ranging cover for just £41
Free cover for your spouse*
Nationwide 24-hour, 365-day cover
AutoAid Breakdown wide-ranging cover includes:
Roadside assistance
Car and passenger recovery service to any UK destination
Home breakdowns
Emergency travel or overnight accommodation
Cover for caravans and small trailers
Cover for theft and vandalism
Message service

How does AutoAid breakdown cover work?
AutoAid is a pay and claim breakdown cover scheme. If you experience a breakdown, just call our AutoAid helpline and we will arrange for the emergency roadside assistance. You will have to pay for costs and expenses yourself, safe in the knowledge we will reimburse** any amounts covered by this insurance in approximately 14 days.

AutoAid's breakdown cover is personal based, which means you and your legal spouse or civil partner will be covered in *any* eligible vehicle you are driving at the time of the breakdown.

Just got a 2008 Astra 1.7 CDTi 16v SXi with all new discs and tyres for the money I had. 54k on the clock :D

media

Nice! £41 isn't a bad premium for what you get, in your 12 years how many times have you had to use them?

Alright, so picture this, my alternator or battery goes, and I'm stuck on the motorway for instance. I call them out, they fix it roadside? I will pay for the parts and the labour right? Then within 14 days I get that back.

What's the point of the name 'breakdown' then? Would they tow me back home? Depends what time the incident is I guess, but the few times I've had to use the AA were late at night for battery/alternator problems.

It'd also depend on if they were able to do it roadside I guess, once I had to use them the battery had gone so they gave me a temp one to get me back home. Another time it was able to be fixed.

Had a bit of a nightmare journey back home, was driving along as you do, and when changing gear my elbow knocked the cable of the sat nav out of its holder and onto the floor. I couldn't find a safe place to stop for a good 2 minutes so had to continue whilst trying to reposition, hit the curb slightly on a bend. Thankfully I pulled up on a side road and repositioned.

However when down the motorway when I hit 70mph there was a whistling noise coming from the car. Couldn't work out where it was from, whether it was air coming in from somewhere or the window seal. Anyone else get this weird noise?

Re: RE: Car buying

DPTC said:
Had a bit of a nightmare journey back home, was driving along as you do, and when changing gear my elbow knocked the cable of the sat nav out of its holder and onto the floor. I couldn't find a safe place to stop for a good 2 minutes so had to continue whilst trying to reposition, hit the curb slightly on a bend. Thankfully I pulled up on a side road and repositioned.

However when down the motorway when I hit 70mph there was a whistling noise coming from the car. Couldn't work out where it was from, whether it was air coming in from somewhere or the window seal. Anyone else get this weird noise?
Check your brakes.

Brakes are fine, it didn't make the sound when I was driving to the destination, only on the way back after the stereo/sat nav fell out. You don't think its the loose connections in the panel that may have been causing air to go through? I checked again when I got home where it could be and the stereo hadn't been pushed in fully.
I'm hoping its not a mechanical fault as I've only had it a week!

Back
Top Bottom