Cartridge Rollerball pens - for the fountain pen averse

For anyone who doesn't want to use a fountain pen - these can represent a great way to have a halfway house...

J Herbin make a transparent rollerball pen (that takes short international standard cartridges) for under a fiver. Sweet little item and of course you have many many ink colours that you can then access (and if you're keen use a syringe to fill empty cartridges with any bottled ink that takes your fancy).

Kaweco make a similar device in their flagship "Sport" range - it's a bit more pricey but it's another option.

I'm sure there are others but these two piqued my interest.

At under £6 for the cheaper one I might have to give one a try as I do like a roller ball - though my current writing implement of choice remains the Parker Jotter (last count I have 20 or so) with the Quink fine refills.
16420516632_288ba44235_m.jpg

I have a LAIX B001 Stainless Steel Tactical Pen that uses the traditional Parker refills,the twist to open style (TTO,now where have I heard that before...:D),any recommendations for decent cheapish refills,either black ball point,or roller ball style?.
I got 10 ball point refills from Amazon,that are not too bad,but I am sure there are better available,as these do not get on with glossy paper at all.
Surprisingly,the pen itself is really well made,and very comfortable to write with too!,so I would like a nice refill that preferably writes on any paper surface,gloss or matt,and dries quickly!.
Any ideas folks?.

Thanks for the response, HM but I think this Kaweco pen takes rollerball refills like the Schmidt P8127.

Using fountain pen ink in a rollerball sounds interesting. I read a few reviews of the J.Herbin rollerball and it seems a bit short for me so would need to be posted to use, which is a pain. I'm wondering that if it isn't capped it won't dry up like a fountain pen does (unless left uncapped for a long time)- does anyone know?

I like the metal version of it as the reviews said the the plastic version was a bit fragile. Although reviews said that posted it's a bit heavy.

Lots to think about :)

I really like the look of this one:

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/HR29348/j-herbin-metal-barrel-ink-rollerball-pen

EDIT:

Hunny, if it takes standard fountain pen cartridges as the website says, does that mean I can fit the Parker adaptor that I use in my fountain pen with bottled Diamine ink?

I had my eye on that one, too. There are a few more colours when bought from BureauDirect and if you look at the Q&A on that site they say their "Mini Universal Fountain Pen convertor" will fit (most converters won't except the MonteVerde mini).
The only issue I can see is that it needs to be posted to use as it's so short and when posted it's a bit heavy. It does look nice though.

Erm, posted....? Does that mean you have to pop the cap on the back? I can't see the weight being a problem given I use fairly large shaving brushes to face lather with when most folk wouldn't even consider them. Not exactly used to writing for long periods these days anyway so I'd probably not notice the difference.

Oh and this seems like a darn good deal - pen plus two tins of cartridges £19.95 with free delivery:

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/burea...-metal-rollerball-pen-2-herbin-ink-tins/p3707

Are there any attractive Cartridge Rollerball pens - for the fountain pen averse, please?

No Carl, all rollerball style pens are ugly...well known fact.

Years ago I slid not too far down the Pen rabbit hole and learned a bunch about em. Man, you need to just look up any designer type penmakers and most will have something real purty in a rollerball as well as fountain pen or even a ball point sometimes. Hell, take a look at the Pelikan line for a start.

I really like the look of this one:

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/HR29348/j-herbin-metal-barrel-ink-rollerball-pen

EDIT:

Hunny, if it takes standard fountain pen cartridges as the website says, does that mean I can fit the Parker adaptor that I use in my fountain pen with bottled Diamine ink?
It can take (at least) a short International Standard adaptor - Kaweco make a specially short one for some of their other compact pens. A lot of these pens will only take a short international standard cartridge - which limits the choice of converters.

Also Parker is not "International Standard"... looks ostensibly similar but is crucially different (Parker want you to buy Parker ink for your Parker pen...)

Erm, posted....? Does that mean you have to pop the cap on the back? I can't see the weight being a problem given I use fairly large shaving brushes to face lather with when most folk wouldn't even consider them. Not exactly used to writing for long periods these days anyway so I'd probably not notice the difference.

Oh and this seems like a darn good deal - pen plus two tins of cartridges £19.95 with free delivery:

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/burea...-metal-rollerball-pen-2-herbin-ink-tins/p3707

Plus 10% discount with your first order :)

My J Herbin arrived yesterday and it's a nice writer. Definitely need the cap posted for the extra length and weight, and it's a bit plasticky, but a decent pen for the money and I'm glad there are rollerball pens that take standard short ink cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom