Cartridge Rollerball pens - for the fountain pen averse

I really like the look of this one:

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/HR29348/j-herbin-metal-barrel-ink-rollerball-pen

HR29348-BK~J-Herbin-Metal-Ink-Rollerball-Cartridge-Pen_P2.jpg

EDIT:

Hunny, if it takes standard fountain pen cartridges as the website says, does that mean I can fit the Parker adaptor that I use in my fountain pen with bottled Diamine ink?
Twitching, definitely twitching. I loaded my last Uniball 207 refill this week.......to be continued.

What type of refills use this J Herbin? It's very cool

It uses International Standard Short cartridges, i.e. not tied in to a specific brand. They're the ones you see in W.H.Smiths for example with no branding. There are plenty of colour options from various manufacturers.
You can use a converter with it so as to use bottled ink but the converter has to be small - the only ones I know of are Monteverde and bureaudirect's own ones as described on their website.
The other option is to refill empty cartridges from an ink bottle with a syringe if that's your thing.

It uses International Standard Short cartridges, i.e. not tied in to a specific brand. They're the ones you see in W.H.Smiths for example with no branding. There are plenty of colour options from various manufacturers.
You can use a converter with it so as to use bottled ink but the converter has to be small - the only ones I know of are Monteverde and bureaudirect's own ones as described on their website.
The other option is to refill empty cartridges from an ink bottle with a syringe if that's your thing.

Ok! Thanks

Well I ordered a J Herbin metal rollerball in black with a mini converter so I can use my great big bottle of Diamine Imperial Blue. That deal I posted the link about is sold out so I just went for the above and received the 10% discount equalling £15.70 including delivery - ain't bad. My treat to myself for Christmas and my last for a very long time! Thanks for the info, Hunny. :D

Last edited:
Why do i keep reading these threads? They keep costing me a fortune, but well worth a try, rollerball with a cartridge, never heard of that before! May stop me flicking ink over my customers when I get excited about what whatever I am talking about!

I got the J. Herbin rollerball pen as a gift for my wife. At first I loaded it with a Herbin "Lie de The" (brown) ink cartridge and have to say the results were dismal. Really scratchy and it drew a very thin line with washed-out colour. The supposed colour of tea leaves looked more like diarrhea to me. I had flushed the pen with water beforehand but I testing writing quite a bit before giving up.

Next I flushed the pen with water again and filled BureauDirect's own converter with Diamine Bilberry bottled ink and fitted it to the pen. The results were the complete opposite. Very fine but deep colour and a much smoother writing experience. Completely transformed the pen.
The converter is tiny though; I'd say at most 2/3 of the size of an International Standard Short cartridge. I'll see how long it lasts and might just use an old short cartridge refilled using a syringe.

I don't know why there's such a difference between the two inks. I'm guessing the Diamine one is more saturated and more lubricating than the Herbin one.

Quick question, can anyone recommend a saturated and lubricated/wet black ink?

Herbin%20Rollerball-2_zps0dwszmff.jpg

Herbin%20Rollerball-1_zpsmr9wp8ck.jpg

Not sure regarding lubrication, though I find it very smooth in my Parker 45), but, for a saturated true black I use Aurora Black. It isn't cheap, but it's actually black rather than the mid-dark grey shades which are sold as black by other ink manufacturers!
Thanks Chris. Since writing my last post I have gone and acquired Diamine Onyx Black ink and so far seems quite thick. I haven't tried it in the rollerball as it's still full of Diamine Bilberry which will probably last an age due to its fine point and the fact it's not used everyday.

Thanks Chris. Since writing my last post I have gone and acquired Diamine Onyx Black ink and so far seems quite thick. I haven't tried it in the rollerball as it's still full of Diamine Bilberry which will probably last an age due to its fine point and the fact it's not used everyday.
Thanks for updating me. I intend to try a bottle of Diamine but space is limited and, though I've often wondered, I still don't know which shade I'd get.

Thanks for updating me. I intend to try a bottle of Diamine but space is limited and, though I've often wondered, I still don't know which shade I'd get.
I know, there are far far too many colours to choose from and YMMV is worse than for shaving. I've tried half a dozen Diamine inks from Cult Pens (small 30ml bottles) and Ink Cartridges Assorted Pack. My favourites are Red Dragon, Bilberry, Sapphire Blue and Ox Blood. I don't think I have IAD as I now have more than enough ink supply but ink is fun and cheap enough to experiment with.

+1 for Diamine Onyx black. Marvellous ink although I haven't yet tried it in my Herbin rollerball but it does flow beautifully in my 45 Flighter. I actually quite like the shade of blue (whatever it may be) and performance of the cartridge that the Herbin came with. I'm not exactly an experienced fountain, rollerball or liquid ink user but what I have so far, I very much like.

Back
Top Bottom