Cartridge vs DE razor shaving - my experiences so far

The R41 and a feather was a brave choice!

I find that I can use a slightly less sharp blade in mine and still get a close shave. I do find it a bit too 'scrapey' to use every day though.

As above, try using the same combination for a period of time.

Feathers are OK in a milder razor, so may be ok in your 34c. I've not used one, but they were fine in my 37c and in my current slant.

I found that when I started, there was so many variables that I wanted to try them all, so my advice would be to stick with one or two blades that you find that work for you.

My dad was exclusively a Gillette Slim plus cream/soap stick shaver until he ditched the lot for a Philips electric shaver. So for 50 years he used to get his farmer shower shave for probably 10 min max. I find that with the Gillette sensor or the Azure I can do a very reasonable shave in about 6 minutes, DE and lathering is about 10 minutes max.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Was bemused to read that the OP said they always nicked themselves on a DE shave. I must admit when I 1st started DE shaving, I was the same for about 6/9 months, but now, I seriously cannot remember the last time I nicked myself. at least a year ago maybe? I'm convinced it's purely down to technique. I shave regularly with a Muhle R41 (2011) so it's not a mild razor. Prep is always the same, slap a hot facecloth on for about 10 seconds, then face lather ProRaso soap on for a 3 x pass shave. All done very quickly, and a daily routine, not a Sunday special.

If you're new to this, I would recommend perseverance, and concentrate on getting a consistent technique. To be honest, alot of crap is written about 'how to shave', just use the same equipment for a period of time. If you constantly change your blades/razor/soap etc, you're trying to aim at a moving target - it won't work.

I also had first a 34C, then a R41(2013). Never got any good results from the 34C, not even when shimmied with sharp blades. The R41 gets me close shaves, but usually doesn't feel very comfortable. And it needs a while to get 'mastered' ;-)

Mach3's I also find very good, but only 3 shaves per cartridge is also my disappointing experience. Fusions last me much longer!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I have been watching the YouTube channel of Big John, the Mad Scientist of Wet Shaving. He advocates using the same razor, cream/soap , brush and type of blade for between 30 and 90 days. His rationale is that temperatures, humidity and other things change over time and during this start up phase the "newbie" will be able to gain muscle memory of the shaving process. Changing things causes a level of confusion to the process which is not good for re-learning how to shave. Thoughts?

Totally agree. Mixing stuff up all the time (a.k.a. rotation) is never going to yield consistency.

I do, sort of, the same. I go one blade (6-7 shaves) using the same gear and then I rotate another soap/brush in. I almost never change razor, because I just love that consistency I get using the same one all the time.

A couple of months on and I'm really enjoying the DE shaving experience, albeit at weekends only when I have a lot more time to relax and enjoy a shave.

I went back to my Merkur 34C and Angel blades and things are working out really well now. I've focused a lot more on technique and holding the razor effectively. The shaves are nice and comfortable now. Yesterday I tried out the Muhle R41 and zero nicks! I'm now employing a much lighter touch and using just the weight of the razor. I'll be sticking mainly with the Merkur 34C for a good few months yet, but will try the Muhle R41 once a month as I get a ridiculously close with that razor.

In terms of passes, I'm doing the same as I do with my cartridge razor: just two passes - with and against. I do a very light third cleanup pass but I wouldn't really call it a major pass.

The Vulfix 404 brush is settling down very nicely now and becoming nice and soft and comfortable against the skin. I've even ventured to using my TOBS soap finally!

I think I had two main issues before: lack of experience (technique) and incorrect application of lather. Improving the latter has yielded the biggest gains for me. I threw away the Arko soap stick as I couldn't get on with it at all. I'm now using Palmolive cream, TOBS cream or TOBS soap. I enjoy the TOBS soap experience the most as I get to lather it up in the beautiful wooden bowl.

I have to admit at one point I was disappointed with DE shaving but thanks to all the advice I've received on here I stuck with it and now am enjoying it very much.

Back
Top Bottom