Cheese

If I'm visiting Jermyn Street I always take a look at number 93, the cheese shop. They have a fantastic selection. Is anyone else partial to a few biscuits and some nice cheese?

Pete

Skip the biccies and give me some artisanal cheese any day... there's a great cheesemongers in Edinburgh:

Iain Mellis Cheesemonger, 30a Victoria Street, Edinburgh EH1 2JW

If you think you don't like cheese, try Iain's place out - only a poky little place but full of cheesy goodness.

If you're not quite that far north, try:

The Cheese Shop, 6 Oldgate, Morpeth, Northumberland NE61 1LX - another poky little place but again heaps of well-kept well-selected cheese on offer.

Paxton & Whitfield is a lovely wee shop but the prices are a bit steep. I suppose that goes with the location. I am sure there are places in London with a great selection and better prices. I bought stuff in there once to see it at half the price a week later at my local Farmers Market. It was delicious though :D .
@HM Is that the place across the street from the Bow Bar?

I like a nice bit of cheese but certainly not a connoisseur. One of the finest taste sensatons in life is a hovis biscuit; some blue cheese and a slice of apple; blissful.

philamac said:
I bought stuff in there once to see it at half the price a week later at my local Farmers Market. It was delicious though :D .

I treat Mellis' like a shop window - if there's something I want more of, I try and seek it direct - because I like talking to the actual producers, and I like to encourage them financially (they must make more from a direct sale than an "agency" sale surely?)

philamac said:
@HM Is that the place across the street from the Bow Bar?

It's not a million miles from the Bow Bar - definitely within staggering distance.

Went to the Bacton Fair this weekend and this lot were there:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://suffolksmokehouse.net/index.html">http://suffolksmokehouse.net/index.html</a><!-- m -->

Bought some smoked goats cheese and smoked salmon pate - very tasty!! I would like to order a small hamper of goodies from them. The quality of the food seems high.

FISSSSHHHH

@hunnymonster

I know the thread is about cheese but did you ever try the smoked fish from the Saturday morning market underneath the Castle? They smoke it there on the street and it is amazing, one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten.

I'm allergic to something in fish , quite possibly some of the amines - gives me a rash that looks like a 3rd degree burn if I touch it - even had some japanese high energy pasta that was made from entirely deodorised fish meal and when I laid a cold strand of it on my arm it looked like I'd been whipped. If I'd eaten it the inside of my mouth would have looked the same.

Everyone in my Chemistry A-level practical knew that one of the things given off contained an amine (methylamine is found in rotting fish, and smells of "fishy ammonia") because I opened the 3rd floor window and called for Hughie out of it.

So back to the plot - no I haven't tried any fish for over 30 years.

Resurecting an old thread.... im heading to gods country, N yorks, on Sunday. Any recommendations of any "new" / artisanal must try cheeses would be much appreciated. Its been a while since i visited.

Cheers.

fozz

I'm very partial to cheeses of all kinds, but you can skip the biccies; I prefer my cheese au naturel, so to speak. For general munching I like a nice piece of English cheddar washed down by a Pinot Noir. Other than that, put a piece of cheese in front of me and I'll eat no matter how smelly it might be. Fortunately SWMBO shares my gastronomic preferences when it comes to cheese.

Back
Top Bottom