Chinese Dishes

What are your favourite Chinese dishes? I literally stick to the same items...

Sweet and Sour King Prawns or Pork, usually Cantonese style but sometimes in batter.
King Prawn Curry
Crispy Shredded Beef
Mongolian Crispy Lamb - hard to find, but it's Lamb instead of Duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce.
BBQ spare ribs
Beef or Shrimp Chowmein without bean sprouts
Salt and Pepper Squid or King Prawn.

I do enjoy Double Cooked Pork, but only appears in southern restaurants and take outs.

Why is the menu so long?

Toby, will of course prefer the no 69...

Last edited:
You've put together a good list there. About the only one I'm not keen on is the batter.

Dim sum
Salt and pepper anything.
Crispy chilli beef.
Kung po prawns.
Char siu chow mein
Singapore noodles
Hot and sour soup.

I went to Hong Kong and ate a whole load of things I didn't recognise (before or after!) and it was Chinese Roulette, cross your fingers, open wide. Some surprises, both nice and nasty! I had fish head soup, but couldn't help wonder why. Nothing wasted that's for sure. You see a different cuisine when you hang out with people living there (in this case a relly working there, not a true local, admittedly).

Same in Japan.
Ace: most sashimi. Maguro tataki.
Swerve: Natto. Fermented jellyfish with strawberry. Horrible novelty fizzy soft drink.

Singapore: durian fruit. The locals love it. The only thing they love more is watching westerners eat it. I actually thought it tastes ok but you have to hold your nose.

Last edited:
I really won’t eat any seafood from a chinese takeaway
if it’s a restaurant i will but never a takeaway.
For me these days it’s normally a curry
not the best i know but over the years iv had just about everything on the menu having said that i do love a cheeky we portion of Singapore Noodles

There was a slightly dismal takeaway near where I used to work, but for a fiver you could get a container of thick fried noodles with chicken, onions and curry sauce. I had that almost every lunchtime for a week when I discovered it. Admittedly there were limited options for lunch round there, but it was very satisfying and I want some now, now I'm reminded of it!

Seems like a long time ago now but when I lived in Watford there was a lunchtime Chinese place above the market called Yummy. We ended up friends with the owners and staff we went there so often. Literally every Saturday after karate me and my mate would order the lunchtime deal plus probably a plate of Singapore noodles (so yeah, prawn crackers, a main course, a banana fritter and another full main course, plus enough jasmine tea to float the Ark Royal, each!) We were young, had voracious appetite and fast metabolisms. That was such a great place for daytime Chinese. They closed down and retired, but I kept my receipt from our last visit before they closed, and we stuffed ourselves, knowing that was the end.

You've put together a good list there. About the only one I'm not keen on is the batter.

Dim sum
Salt and pepper anything.
Crispy chilli beef.
Kung po prawns.
Char siu chow mein
Singapore noodles
Hot and sour soup.

I went to Hong Kong and ate a whole load of things I didn't recognise (before or after!) and it was Chinese Roulette, cross your fingers, open wide. Some surprises, both nice and nasty! I had fish head soup, but couldn't help wonder why. Nothing wasted that's for sure. You see a different cuisine when you hang out with people living there (in this case a relly working there, not a true local, admittedly).

Same in Japan.
Ace: most sashimi. Maguro tataki.
Swerve: Natto. Fermented jellyfish with strawberry. Horrible novelty fizzy soft drink.

Singapore: durian fruit. The locals love it. The only thing they love more is watching westerners eat it. I actually thought it tastes ok but you have to hold your nose.
We do have traditional Chinese dishes here: Pigs intestines, Pigs Uterus, and my favourite Duck Tongues...

Oh yeah I did see duck tongues in HK. Also a street vendor selling skewers with bbq pig intestine. At least I assume that was what she meant when we pointed and looked puzzled. She kind of made a pig face and a squiggly motion round her stomach. Of course, that could have been an insult for us for all I know! But it looked like tripe so I think she was being helpful! Uterus though... I'm reasonably adventurous but some things it's better not to know beforehand!

I LOVE Chinese food. I'll eat almost any kind of Chinese apart from noodles, which I hate. Anyway, my list of favourites would be:

Sweet And Sour King Prawn (in batter)
Chicken Or Special Fried Rice
Sweet And Sour Chicken (any kind)
Prawn Wontons
Prawn Toasts
BBQ Spare Ribs
Hoisin Duck Spring Rolls

My local Iceland also used to do a Chinese meal called Char Sui Pork, which I also LOVED. They also did a Cantonese meal with Chicken which was also lovely. I just don't like noodles!

Sweet & Sour is a combination I like.

I generally make my own food. Here's a Sweet & Sour Pork dish I've made a few times:

IMG_2265.JPG

I tend to like it with a simple, clean cucumber and horse-ear scallion salad. Thin crepes, whatever they're called.

IMG_0425.JPG

Back
Top Bottom