Choosing between super badger and silvertip

Hi,

I know that most of you have more than one brush and some have an amazing collection itself.

So I thought I would post this here to get some pointers.

I am planning to go for a nice Badger hair brush (But I dont think I would be investing for a brush again for quite some time unless the one I am planning to buy gives away)

My question is thus.

If you could have just one brush with you regardless ff you are tracelling or bowl lathering or face lathering or hand lathering. Let it be soap or cream.

Which would you prefer Silvertip or Super. I had read somewhere that the difference between a silvertip and a super badger is not too much. And the super has more backbone which is quite usefull for facelathering and soaps.

So if I could get some pointers in the right direction it would be great.

Cheers

super badger ( are you referring to 2 band?) and silvertip have different characteristics and it will also depend on the manufacturer of the brush as well.
As a face latherer, I would say I prefer 2 band, but I have an NF silvertip (2213) that I also like.
We have some excellent brush makers on this forum, so I would they might offer some better advice than my ramblings..
In the end, the only way t find out is to get both and see which works best for you.

I'm going against the grain, I have a NF2211, and since I bought a pure prototype off Fido shortly afterwards, my NF2211 has not been used.
I love the pure, it's a real big brush, nice and stiff, just lovely, best 15 quid I ever spend!

Max

Badger knots vary. That is the bottom line really. For example, at the moment I have a stock of super badger in 22 and 21mm, standard silver tip in 22mm, and 10 each of extra silver tip knots in 24mm and 26mm. Which has the most backbone? They vary! The stiffest are without doubt the extra silver tip, but that is because they have more densely packed hairs. Of the standard silver tip vs the super badger, if anything, the super are the softest, and the silver tip can go either way.

Production brushes can vary, just as hand make bespoke brushes. But I suppose that the advantage in having a custom made brush from a small maker is that you can ask for the type you prefer, and the maker will do his best to satisfy your requirements.

Rod

hunnymonster said:
Depends... which manufacturer? what sort of brush do you prefer? :)

This :icon_arrowu:

I have Silvertip, Super and Simpsons 'Best'. Can't say there's an awful big difference between all three. If anything, I prefer best.
My advice, buy one of each :icon_twisted:

There is no common usage of the term Super Badger. It is the term used by some brands for their top grade of silvertip or for their two band brushes. For others, it is a grade below. Even silvertip varies in quality depending on whether it is given special treatment. If you want a top quality badger brush you should choose between silvertip and two band. If you want a single brush to serve all purposes my advice would be to go for a two band brush with a knot of 22mm or 24mm and a loft not much above 52mm. And then it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Hi shamreez,
For a good performing all round brush I would advise my clients to go for a 'good' silvertip or a Two band finest.

The fitting of the knot, handfle sdhape and size etc would then be tailored to give optimum results.
Even with the above two suggestions, there can be quality differences depending on size and source of knots.
Discuss your preferences and requirements in detail with your supplier before you commit.
regards, beejay

I only have a few brushes, I got rid of a few that just didn't work for me. If I was to keep one brush that is my best al-rounder and perhaps best brush I currently own, I would choose the NF2211. Its the only brush I've used that works well with creams and soaps to face lather and bowl lather. Look out for any NF221x brush. The knot will be the same what ever the last digit is.

i only own two brushes myself, but have owned 5 over the lifetime of my wet shaving career:

-wilkinson sword board : prickly, cheap, but worked well enough
-Tweezerman Pure Badger : was a great little brush for £15, i loved it, felt properly soft compared to the WS great value
-Edwin Jagger Super Badger : was just too big and too floppy for me. A lovely luxurious brush though and well made
-NF2201 : the first brush that really felt perfectly balanced to me, soft enough, yet with backbone to face lather
-NF Tubby 1 : my real favourite here... so so soft, great looks, easy to handle and lathers like a dream. Also stiff enough to face lather, but its as soft as id want a face lathering brush to be. Its utterly superb though.

Back
Top Bottom