Chromebook

I have a couple of acer netbooks running linux. the kids use the for surfing the net and school work, but I need to sue the win7 pc for printing and/or converting to MS format for them to take to school.
If only schools would ditch MS!

rowlers said:
I have a couple of acer netbooks running linux. the kids use the for surfing the net and school work, but I need to sue the win7 pc for printing and/or converting to MS format for them to take to school.
How about openoffice?

AlexNoodles said:
rowlers said:
How about openoffice?
I understand ms office is available as a Web app?

ajh101 said:
AlexNoodles said:
rowlers said:
How about openoffice?
office365, but it costs a little bit.

AlexNoodles said:
ajh101 said:
AlexNoodles said:
rowlers said:
How about openoffice?
office365, but it costs a little bit.

I was consulting for one cheap company whose corporate policy was MS Office standard, however they refused to provide licenses for all employees. Nearly everyone was running LibreOffice and TeX for technical specifications. The company then officially switched to Office 365 and the employees successfully revolted. Conversion was not perfect. Many governments are standardizing on Open Document Formats and I expect Universities will soon follow. Microsoft is losing its proprietary stronghold.

ajh101 said:
AlexNoodles said:
rowlers said:
How about openoffice?

It's the Onedrive app which allows you to use the free web versions of excel & word

Screenshot.png

benthespaniel said:
alancrab said:
If it was me I'd just buy a new hard drive and install Linux. Did it a few years ago and never looked back

I'd love to know how to.... sounds a bit like speaking Norwegian - easy if you know how to do it!
The Linux version I use is lxle if you google it you can download a "live" version to burn to a DVD. Once you have the DVD burnt set your boot settings to DVD/CD first and you can run it without installing anything. It also guides you through install if that's what you want to do.

alancrab said:
benthespaniel said:
alancrab said:
If it was me I'd just buy a new hard drive and install Linux. Did it a few years ago and never looked back

I'd love to know how to.... sounds a bit like speaking Norwegian - easy if you know how to do it!
The Linux version I use is lxle if you google it you can download a "live" version to burn to a DVD. Once you have the DVD burnt set your boot settings to DVD/CD first and you can run it without installing anything. It also guides you through install if that's what you want to do.

I have been using Linux for 21 years and some flavour is installed on all of my machines today (sole, dual, or guest). It is very easy to install and use. However, I would never recommend a new fully functional OS to anyone (whether Windows, Mac, Linux, ...) who does not have an experienced helper at least a phone call or weekly visit away.

That's exactly the Chromebook advantage (which is Linux under a protective hood). It requires no maintenance, always works, is always up-to-date, and has one of or the best security records of any OS.

Back
Top Bottom