Cleaning your Razor

Which is the best way to clean the soapy residue off the razor, if, like me, you don't do a detailed clean everyday? I have matt Merkur Futur and find that the soap really sticks the metal and washing up liquid doesn't seem to do the trick.
Thanks

I use an ultrasonic cleaner. If you live in the UK.....they appear regularly in Aldi or Lidl for less than £20. They are useful for loads of other things as well!

A soft bristle toothbrush and warm soapy water. Ideally a toothbrush with a small head, but not the one you clean your teeth with obviously. I use a Dabur toothbrush that came free with Dabur toothpaste.

Then, rinse the razor parts in warm water, and use a paper kitchen towel to dry them.

I give my shiny chrome Futur, a gentle scrub with a nailbrush, that I keep in the bathroom cabinet just for that purpose...It gets a scrub after every shave ,then dried and polished on a towel. It still looks like new....though I do sometimes wonder about wearing the chrome away down to the base metal....I shall just have to buy another one then I s'pose....

GOLDCREST said:
I give my shiny chrome Futur, a gentle scrub with a nailbrush, that I keep in the bathroom cabinet just for that purpose...It gets a scrub after every shave ,then dried and polished on a towel. It still looks like new....though I do sometimes wonder about wearing the chrome away down to the base metal....I shall just have to buy another one then I s'pose....

i use a nailbrush as well, works a treat

gets all the muck off

not as good a clean as one of those fancy ultrasonic cleaners like what dentists and that use

i've got a much loved matt futur and came across a youtube dis-assemble video here >[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDCHb9-uJ4[/video]
Surprising amount of crap under the head part
You do have to press down quite hard against the spring but it came off and went back on easily enough.
I'm another old toothbrush user and some anti-bacterial hand wash takes the worst off. I have used a small dab of three in one oil if the soap marks seems stubborn, in the past. Guess the satin finish is prone to showing these 'smears' more than other razors.
Any successful combinations you've found for cleaning yet?

Andy

Hiya,

So i wonder if there's any stuff available in the UK like Scrubbing Bubbles. Sprayed from a can, and it foams up on whatever it touches. Very good for getting the tough to reach spots cleaned up, and works like a slight polish too (no, I don't mean a skinny Polish person).

I use it when the razor's still fairly clean and it's good maintenance. Doesn't hurt the gold plated razors.

For more drastic cleaning and polishing, I'll use Maas. No good on gold though.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

So i wonder if there's any stuff available in the UK like Scrubbing Bubbles. Sprayed from a can, and it foams up on whatever it touches.

Martin

Looked for that stuff when first getting into old razors. B&B members went on about it forever but never found a similar product here. Others have no doubt got an answer i'm sure

dodgy said:
Hiya,

So i wonder if there's any stuff available in the UK like Scrubbing Bubbles. Sprayed from a can, and it foams up on whatever it touches. Very good for getting the tough to reach spots cleaned up, and works like a slight polish too (no, I don't mean a skinny Polish person).

I use it when the razor's still fairly clean and it's good maintenance. Doesn't hurt the gold plated razors.

For more drastic cleaning and polishing, I'll use Maas. No good on gold though.

Martin

how about you price it up to post a bottle down so us here can buy it off you?

I have the shiny Future also. I use the little brush set that comes with electric razors for cleaning. A dry off and polish with a small microfibre face cloth keeps it looking brand new.

If using a three piece then I've started taking it apart after every use, carefully putting the blade aside and wiping the razor clean with a towel or sheet of loo roll and have found I don't mind doing this at all. Same with the Rocket but I'll toothbrush and toothpaste it once a week to get into the nooks and crannies of the head. I don't doubt the 3 piece razors will need a more thorough cleaning every so often as well. A bit of Peek polish if I think any of them needs it.

shanky887614 said:
how about you price it up to post a bottle down so us here can buy it off you?

Hi there,

Actually, i could do that, except the shipping would probably be $15-20 for just the small $5 can. The secret to the stuff is the adorable Scrubbing Bubble ghosty things.

One thing to stay away from is 'Mister Bubbles', a totally different item.

Attachments

• thumbnail-4.jpg
    thumbnail-4.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 16
If this helps.............
Scrubbing Bubbles = Bathroom Mousse (Cif, Cillit Bang or supermarket brands.)
Dawn = washing up liquid
Mass = Peek or another mildly abrasive polish
I also use Meguiar's plastic polish and cleaner for case.......thanks to Steve (Sunburyboy) for that one !

Back
Top Bottom