Cold water shaving

Quote:
Blade sharpness is another by-product of shaving with cold water. If you recall the droning tone of your science teacher, you'll recall that metal contracts when it cools. This innocuous chemical reaction causes the molecules in your blade to contract, giving it a keener edge.

Is this meant to be serious? :rolleyes:
I hope not because there's nothing 'chemical' about that 'reaction'! :p I can see where they're BS'ing from, but I wouldn't trust it to have any discernible effect.

Edit: Also, molecules contracting? No, no and no from me! :p

I've been experimenting with a warm starting rinse and lather, but cold blade over the last week.
The main reason for me trying this is the occasional ingrown hair. I'm still in test mode, but to date there have certainly been no ill effects.

I tried a full on cold water shave yesterday for the first time with all proraso green products pre shave cream soap & balm :eek: the shave went ok but I didn't like it may have been different if id used a soap without eucalyptus & menthol in , its not something il do again I like warm water better :)

Oh yes. I switched to CWS several years ago and it's not only refreshing but eliminated all irritation. It did take me a week or two to get accustomed. However. I still rinse my razor in running hot water but everything else is cold.

Oh well, I just had a cold water shave and it went alright, no cuts nor weepers.

One day growth so exactly the same as when I do warm water shaves.

No shower before the shave..... a cold shower would be pushing it too far lol but I washed my face in cold water.

Soap was a mixture of Proraso Green and DR Harris eucalyptus, a usual combination for me that works very well. A little Dr Harris cream in a bowl and brush loaded from the Proraso tub as usual.

The razor of choice was a Solingen Crown Sword straight razor supplied by @Fergiebilly .... superb.

A 3 passes shave and it was very comfortable and enjoyable, was it better than a warm water shave? That's hard to tell if there was any improvement but I'd say the warm weather certainly contributed to the enjoyment, had it been a cold winter morning..... I'm afraid I wouldn't be writing this post ;)

I'm happy with the experience and it does make me wonder about the effectiveness of hot towels.... as lovely as they are, specially on a cold winter morning :)

Back
Top Bottom