Colman's mustard

range-english-mustard-packshot.png

I rarely have a meal at home without a Coleman's mustard jar on the table except at dinner parties when I pop some into a more appropriate container. I'd never thought much about the origins of the product. One of the joys of the internet is the ability to access information when a thought comes into your head. So after my latest meal I just thought I'd see what I could find out. And here's the story after what happened when Jeremiah Coleman started his little business:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colman's

Being dragged up living in Norfolk, not too far from the factory in Carrow Road, it was obligatory to have mustard on the table.

We never had the posh stuff in the jar though, my mum always bought the powdered stuff which you mix up yourself.

mustard.jpg

Also, the claim as to the Bawburgh link is inaccurate. Jeremiah started as a miller at Bawburgh, but, according the Colman's own site, only entered the mustard business when he purchased Stoke Holy Cross Mill in 1814 from an existing mustard business.

i do love it in a nice sausage or roast beef sandwich with plenty of salt and pepper..yum !!! :icon_razz::icon_razz:

i also love Worcestershire sauce, and i was watching a Documantary last year about old fashioned chemists and found that Worcester sauce was nearly never invented, as the original recipe was yuk !, and they put it to one side until they had time to improve it, and when they pulled it out of the cellar it had fermented and tasted yummy !!! and hence it was released to the public...

Tried some once. Bought a bottle but... Guess it doesn't travel well or it was old. It just didnt have a Bright Yellow Mustard color when I opened it.:)-)

Prefer Taylor's mustard but not easy to get a hold of these days. First tried it Norfolk of all places: a wee butcher's shop in Wroxham was stacked to the gunwales with it so I got a jar and have loved it since.

I rubbed Colman's mustard powder in to fillet steaks this evening before frying them. Also used Worcester Sauce along with onion, garlic, beef stock, crushed mixed peppercorns and fromage frais to make a tasty sauce. Both the above are always in our cupboard, the Worcester getting the most outings.

FYI Mustard powder and powdered (ground) mustard aren't necessarily the same thing.
The bright yellow usually comes from turmeric, which usually isn't present in the powder.
I believe mustard to be sorcery, not culinary art - try playing with horseradish (Tewkesbury) mustard blending: I bet you can't get the same thing twice!
Mustard oil is one to try for those who haven't.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom