Cracked windscreen

Nanny, get some quotes from some small "local" auto glaziers, you might be surprised at how reasonable they can be compared to the national firms and getting it through insurance if your not fully covered. They should also come to your place of work for the fix at your convenience, I'd get it done but don't panic the roof is not going to cave in just yet.

Thanks for the first hint of reassurance Antdad; I was beginning to worry about even sitting in it never mind driving. Actually the main problem is time. We get the train to work, so the car stays home, so I'll either have to take time off work, or see if I can get someone to do it at the week end. But I will check with our garage that we use that has always seemed very reasonable, and compare that with the excess.
It's a Land Rover Discovery; terrible diesel guzzler, and not quite the nippy performer that Sunbury Boy obviously likes; well, my bottom has never felt the need to cling on....but for a 16 year old, it chugs along very reliably.

soapalchemist said:
Thanks for the first hint of reassurance Antdad; I was beginning to worry about even sitting in it never mind driving. Actually the main problem is time. We get the train to work, so the car stays home, so I'll either have to take time off work, or see if I can get someone to do it at the week end. But I will check with our garage that we use that has always seemed very reasonable, and compare that with the excess.
It's a Land Rover Discovery; terrible diesel guzzler, and not quite the nippy performer that Sunbury Boy obviously likes; well, my bottom has never felt the need to cling on....but for a 16 year old, it chugs along very reliably.

With a Disco 1 I doubt very much that the roof will cave in because of a cracked windscreen, they are built for off road use and a strong vehicle (at 16 years old it's just a baby yet.. :) ). As Antdad says just shop around and get it done when you can, but remember the colder it gets the more the crack will spread. So don't panic yet.... ;)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smilewindscreens.co.uk/windscreen-price/landrover/discovery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.smilewindscreens.co.uk/winds ... /discovery</a><!-- m -->
Just to give you an idea on prices.

antdad said:
I had a Disco S1 for about 6 months, had so many cracks in the screen I could barely see and still alive to tell the tale.

Good old british engineering, built in Solihull, leaks everywhere else............... :lol: :lol: The 1st Disco's were never that water tight..........Would love to have the money to buy the new one tho.......fine looking beast.

Thanks for the link MS.... looks like it's going to be on the pricey side with labour on top. Will definitely have to get it sorted very soon - just had bad news today about possible redundancy situation for myself and HWMOM, so need to spend whilst there is still anything to spend. We continue to fight on but no good news so far....Will be posting in the Food and Drink section soon looking for good lentil recipes. :cry:
I don't know what an Si is Antdad, ours is a TDi.

Ours doesn't leak; but all the little things like central locking are broken. But it drives.

S1 is Series 1, yours is also a Series 1. You'll need to know that when asking for quotes. Sod it just keep driving the dam thing till its MOT unless it gets considerably worse, it might not.

I agree with Antdad, but you could also try the Disco owners club as they might have good deals/discounts with people. You never know it's worth a go.
Good luck with job situation.
Steve

Antdad, that's definitely appealing to how I normally deal with these things... :lol:

Missingskin, that's a good idea, and I may find the time to do it if I haven't been killed by a flying brick by the time job ends if it does.....which would be October. Court hearing tomorrow, probably shouldn't say too much as 'sub judice '......just praying we whip some asses of people who have spent the last several years getting paid loads of money to redesign something they know nothing about.

soapalchemist said:
Court hearing tomorrow, probably shouldn't say too much as 'sub judice '......just praying we whip some asses of people who have spent the last several years getting paid loads of money to redesign something they know nothing about.

Is this something to do with Marathon changing to Snickers?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is indeed a serious issue; but no, it's to do with legal advice for poor people changing into either non existant or c**p (no disrespect intended to the tiny handful of dedicated Legal Aid solicitors who will remain in employment around the country).

But maybe all is not lost on the Legal Aid front.....<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/high-court-judge-brands-welfare-tender-irrational" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/high-c ... irrational</a><!-- m -->

I particularly liked this quote : ‘There is ample evidence that this is a highly reputable and utterly efficient firm that is approved of by the judges, and you’re going to ruin it. You’re bringing it to an end as a result of this decision. How can you justify that? You can’t.’

Pigcat, I think you should instruct solicitors to deal with the Snickers problem. :lol: :lol:

Get it changed, even if it means paying the excess. Cracks can run, they are a integral part of the structure in modern bonded windscreens and it is a quick and painless job for them to do, bloody annoying though.

Back
Top Bottom