Curry recipes

It usually is quite good next time I make a curry I'll make some extra paste and perhaps can pif some forward. Most people get it wrong with the onions they have to be cooked beyond translucent in the masala.

Another favourite of mine is 'poussin' a Kenyan style cuisine, however rarely have this as it's not too healthy loads of butter, lots of chilli and garlic but amazing when done right. In Kenya we do something called a karoga which is basically the best Indian food I have ever had. It has a Kenyan influence in the fresh mix of chillies and garlic butter, the whole karoga experience involves several men around a huge pot all chipping in with the cooking whilst having beers, whisky and wine...... Just as good as the food!

Takes about 1.5 hours to make the base gravy. I make as big of a batch that my pan can handle & thats enough for 8-10 ruby's. I portion it up into zip loc bags & freeze it. From there i can knock out a curry in 30 min including prep & portioning out the spices.

Als kitchen on you tube is a good place to look at how its done. I replace the paprika with Kashmiri chili powder & when i make a korma there is no need to add any additional heat.

Good point on the lamb Nishy.

It s curry night tomorrow night.

Don't suppose you fancy posting some of your secret recipes nishy?

Tried making naan bread and onion bhaji tonight and they were bloody horrible :(

Still the curry was good though :)

Chicken is good, not creamy but here's my recipe:
Ingredients:
5 cloves of garlic
Little finger sized piece of ginger
2 cloves
2 medium sized onions
1 piece of cinnamon (half the length of the ginger)
2 green chillies
Fresh coriander
Ground cumin
Italian dry mixed herbs
Chicken (3 breasts chopped or for more flavour use a baby chicken chopped but on the bone)
Tin of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree

Method:

1. Heat a pan with olive oil salt and crushed black pepper add the cloves and cinnamon
2. Finely chop the garlic, onions, ginger and coriander
3. Add the garlic to the pan make sure it cooks but at no point burn.
4. Add the onions about a teaspoon of cumin and half the chopped ginger.
5. Cook till the onions have browned not just translucent.
6. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes (I like the brand cirio)
7. Cook the mixture thoroughly mixing throughout, when the sauce begins to stick together mix more frequently till it starts to really thicken and become sticky.
8. Add in the chicken (you can marinade this overnight in yoghurt salt and turmeric).
9. Immediately add half a mug of water, dry mixed herbs and stir.
10. Add another handful of coriander and ginger, stir and place lid on pan.
11. After approx 15mins remove lid and stir, continue to do this until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce providing a thick consistency on the chicken.
12. At this point you can put on the rice. Finally before serving add another handful of coriander, salt and pepper to taste.

This curry only uses little olive oil and I guess you could add cream, but traditionally no cream is added unless cooking butter chicken or North Indian dishes. You can add less/more chilli and or another tin of chopped tomatoes for more sauce. As always it tastes even better the next day, but I would cook a fresh batch of rice. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Indian-Cookbook-M-Baljekar/dp/0862838029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396769458&sr=8-1&keywords=complete+indian+cookbook

That is really all you need.

Haha antdad the missus said the same thing, 'four in the morning... mixed Italian herbs...they will think your battered'. Well battered I was, still managed to get the recipe out thanks to predictive text, but more importantly I actually do use these herbs I like the subtle taste it adds to the masala but it can be left out.

justcallmegreg said:
Mate that sounds lush !

Ill be cooking that up next Saturday :)

Will let you know how it goes ...

Nice one I'm sure you will enjoy it, look forward to hearing how it goes!

P. S. Antdad I can't seem to locate the fantasy football thread you erected any chance of a link? I promised to send out a soap to the winner of the league and can't seem to beat first place myself even though I wouldn't keep the soap :p

Greg another of my favourites is jeera chicken which only takes 15 mins to cook.

Put in a little bit of olive oil in a pan and a table spoon of jeera. Cook the jeera seeds till browned in the oil then add 2 sliced onions and whole peppercorns (around egg cup worth for spicy results). Throw in the chicken (whole baby chic on the bone) and fresh coriander (two handfuls) steam chicken till cooked through and add more fresh coriander and salt to finish. Jobs a goodun

Had a look at the link definitely a good forum. I have three main gripes with British curries the sweetness (not authentic), amount of oil floating on the top and cream (not traditional).

Oh and saag, this tastes completely wrong when made into a curry using canned saag. It takes ages to make it properly, loads of elbow grease grinding the spinach to provide a rich but textured finish. I only know of one Indian restaurant in Southall that makes real saag curries sad really.

[attachment=10106][attachment=10107][attachment=10108][attachment=10109]

Hi guys so all the talk of curry got me quite hungry so I made a chicken and vegetable curry for dinner. I have attached pictures of the three stages of masala (just for reference) and the final pic. I probably used a little too much pasata this time round. Also I forgot to mention you should add mustard seeds at the start with the cloves and I don't know what it's called in English but to add a slightly sour note to the sweet tomatoes you can add in about a quarter teaspoon of 'amchoor' - powdered mango and finally adding in a teaspoon of garam masalla with the tomato and that it's to a tee

Finally!
[attachment=10112]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396815960240.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396815960240.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396816348697.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396816348697.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396816370510.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396816370510.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396816386256.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396816386256.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396817606941.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396817606941.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
http://www.curryfrenzy.co.uk/

the curry kits are great and always in my pantry
the Chilli con Carni kit is excellent too, i add some grated chocolate and more chilli

Back
Top Bottom