Customs annoyance

I ordered a handle from Italian Barber, which incurred 6 quid of customs. Of course the Royal Mail added 8 quid, so that's £14. Oh well. I paid it online.

They tried to deliver when my wife was on the school run, so it went back to the post office. She kindly went to collect it for me today, and the postie charged her £14 to release it. She didn't realise I'd already paid it.

So we've paid £28 in customs charges for an item worth probably less than that. Grrrr.

She'll try to get the customs back tomorrow but GRRRR!

That is very annoying. Think I'm going to lay off ordering from the US. Especially now that I have a good selection and paid around £88 in customs fees and RM this month.

The pound is in a bad way too,so makes sense. I still have a Blackbird to wait for (not yet polished I guess) and then I will take a break

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just had a customs duty bill from DHL for £11.10 for my Rockwell 6s - with and £11 fee added. So I've sent them a cheque for £11.10 and an invoice for my admin fee for £11.00.

Something odd happened last week with DHL. They sent me a customs charge of £3 (non shave related)

They either must have forgot to add the admin fee ar they took pity on me

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

Man arrested at Heathrow attempting to smuggle six razors, four pucks of soap and a shaving brush through border control ....... Most of which were stuffed up his arse ...... except the soaps, which he'd wrapped in condoms and swallowed.

Customs officers were quoted as saying that they were damn impressed, as the level of anal intrusion required for such a feat has previously been unheard of outside of Westminister .......

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

Man arrested at Heathrow attempting to smuggle six razors, four pucks of soap and a shaving brush through border control ....... Most of which were stuffed up his arse ...... except the soaps, which he'd wrapped in condoms and swallowed.

Customs officers were quoted as saying that they were damn impressed, as the level of anal intrusion required for such a feat has previously been unheard of outside of Westminister .......
Classic..:D:D:D:D

Billy

I more or less gave up purchasing outside the EU many years ago - the whole customs lark was just getting too expensive and was adding weeks onto delivery times. Then at one stage, the USPS contracted a private courier to deliver most of their inbound mail to Ireland, prior to this everything went through An Post (Irish equivalent to Royal Mail, An Post being very reliable being the only major difference) and to cut a long story short - it was disastrous.

I'm pretty much at peace now... too much time and effort wasted over the years trying to chase down parcels and faffing about with customs. I might order the odd thing from the US if its value is relatively low, the cost of these additional taxes just don't make most purchases cost effective for me.

Well, DHL clearly don't like their little speculative invoicing scheme being questioned. So far I've had two ill-mannered and aggressive letters threatening all sorts of unpleasantness. Unfortunately, in much the same way as they didn't bother to address either letter correctly, they failed to carry out any due diligence, so I'm not worried that the account I don't have is now blocked, or that the credit limit I don't have is rescinded; nor am I concerned that they will take me to court and claim their costs (it would be small claims, so no costs), or that they will apply a penalty and interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act (I'm a consumer, so it doesn't apply).

I replied pointing the above out, and referring them to Ferguson v British Gas, a precedent case in which British Gas sent similar threats and then claimed that the customer should have realised they were automated templates and not real threats; they lost and the court held that a business is responsible for its actions if it harasses consumers in this way. I also pointed them toward the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, which makes clear that trying to mislead people into a transaction is an offence, and even has a bit about speculative invoices.

Anyway, they replied within 5 minutes saying that they have passed it to their legal department, and they'll get back to me on Monday. I wonder how much it's cost them so far?

Well, DHL clearly don't like their little speculative invoicing scheme being questioned. So far I've had two ill-mannered and aggressive letters threatening all sorts of unpleasantness. Unfortunately, in much the same way as they didn't bother to address either letter correctly, they failed to carry out any due diligence, so I'm not worried that the account I don't have is now blocked, or that the credit limit I don't have is rescinded; nor am I concerned that they will take me to court and claim their costs (it would be small claims, so no costs), or that they will apply a penalty and interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act (I'm a consumer, so it doesn't apply).

I replied pointing the above out, and referring them to Ferguson v British Gas, a precedent case in which British Gas sent similar threats and then claimed that the customer should have realised they were automated templates and not real threats; they lost and the court held that a business is responsible for its actions if it harasses consumers in this way. I also pointed them toward the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, which makes clear that trying to mislead people into a transaction is an offence, and even has a bit about speculative invoices.

Anyway, they replied within 5 minutes saying that they have passed it to their legal department, and they'll get back to me on Monday. I wonder how much it's cost them so far?
Bravo!

Love it; this could be one for the Supreme Court!! :)

So you ordering something from abroad that you know is well over the VAT threshold with a delivery courier that you knew was delivering then you complain about paying there admin fee which you more than likely knew about before ordering . Hmm there's a word for this, but it escapes me at present. Good luck with your next parcel that you will need to pay cash for the charges on delivery.

Well done, stick it to the man!

Back
Top Bottom