D R Harris Almond

Well I've been using this soap for the past three weeks or so, day in day out, and must say I don't feel the need to change at the moment. I'm not going to start to, in a high brow fashion, wax lyrical about it but I will say that it is a forgiving soap in the way it feels good on the skin and creates a good cushion of lather with the first two passes being XTG [using super thins at the moment and have shelved my dear Feathers for now]. Mind you I do apply it thick and face lather with a dab of hot water to get it whipped up. I'm pretty extravagant when it comes to making lather be it Palmolive or High end soaps so this may have something to do with it. The scent is another thing that hits the mark for me. It's a dryish almost bitter scent like if you cut a holly branch and smell the fresh wood, nice and bitter something of a required taste maybe. I think the Almond in the name refers to the oil used though not quite sure as I got this cake as a swap at TSR and didn't get the box with it. All in all very pleased with this soap and it seems to be a far cry from all the fancy scented concoctions that are on the market today, dare I say old fashioned without being olde worlde retro. Will be buying, nay stocking up on this one.

Stocking up?

Leave some for me.

I've been using it regularly for six months and have binned (not even swapped) the rest of my soaps.

It has just been joined by the Lavender version now, which is just as good . . . if you like Lavender, obviously.

If all the difference is the scent then it may well be worth a try, as I'm a little partial to lavender, thanks for that Vinny.

It was a leap of faith buying the Almond soap seeing as I hate Almond-scented anything with a passion.

I'd read it wasn't an Almond scent so took a punt expecting to get bored of it as quickly as I have with others.

The scent is brilliant - 'earthy' is the best I can come up with . . . a bit like Erasmic stick - and the lather (with a just damp brush) is on a par with Palmolive.

No-brainer for me.

I've tried sniffing a lot of soaps and creams when I was in London last month - and my experience was that the 'almond' creams smell like marzipan - processed almonds - benzaldehyde; whereas the 'almond' labeled soaps smell like fresh, non-processed almonds.

In almonds, the benzaldehyde is released through enzymic degradation of amygdalin. The enzyme is released upon crushing (processing, grinding) of the almond kernels.

Back
Top Bottom