Damascus knives

I understand why the technique is used but for straights, cutlery or pocket knives is it more aesthetic appeal rather than practicality? I've recently bought a Japanese Nakiri chopping knife and I'm thinking about getting the chefs knife. The damascus version has the same core (VG-10) Rockwell 60-61 but I wasn't sure if the extra expenditure was really worth it.

Gratuitous meat shot with edge.

tbonev.jpg

Here's company that iv'e purchased knives off for many years you may find them of interest. the second link is the same store but with the spec's you are looking for simply the best online knife shop I have dealt with and super fast shipping. Japanese steel cannot be beaten amazing.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SHIKIDamascusSeries.html

Jamie.

Arrowhead said:
I thought this was going to be a heads up on the Damast knives coming up in Aldi on Thursday. Knife snobs please don't flame me, I'm just the messenger.

So are these knives any good or what? They look the business but I'm not really knowledgeable about this sort of thing. :huh:

Hi, Pig cat, well what you get with any high end Japanese made product is, materials VG10 steel without doubt a steel that's a proven performer without question, secondly craftsmanship, Seki city the home of knife making industry in Japan, I own a few Japanese knives with VG10 steel and cannot fault it. The only thing I would say about anyone thinking of buying a expensive chef's knife is, if you cannot sharpen a knife learn because a knife that's not 100% sharp is of no use.

I cannot imagine a damascus blade holding a better edge than the single steel blades on that site ( why did you have to post that pugh ? )

PC, As far as been worth it...I say yes, because i appreciate how these knives are made & the quality of steel they are made from, both the plain steel & the damascus. However, decent knives can be had for a lot less cost - Henckels, Le Sabatier for example.

That was the point of my original post fozz, damascus on such a short blade isn't much practical use other that high craft and aesthetics.

Those Aldi knives might be absolutely fine PC but they will probably require more than a steel to keep sharp if they have a harder than average edge, the benefit is the edge will last longer without maintenance.

£10 for a paring knife isn't much even for an ordinary one, might be worth a punt.

Well, I went to Aldi today, and there they were - I bought the two, and they're certainly very sharp at the moment. Carbon steel, loads of layers...I forget the rest.:icon_rolleyes: Made in Germany which always appeals to me where steel is concerned, and indeed a lot of things. Not sure what the justification is for the Japanese character on the handle, but ever mind. I'm going to have to google sharpening knives properly, may need to invest in a whet (sp?) stone or some such.

Don't I wish Arrowhead.:icon_lol: For whatever reasons, DIY is just not his thing. However, I took the Bosch for it's first spin today, and put up a reasonably straight shelf (not bad going without a spirit level) and a springy thingy into the skirting board to stop the door handle from making an even deeper dent in the wall.
Having You Tubed for knife sharpening, I liked this, and think I am beginning to understand some of what all you straight razor shavers talk about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnFL3zCYUY As the last commentator said, pretty amazing to get anything remotely useful from Inexpert Village.

When it comes to sharpening, knives and razors don't have much in common. In theory, the latter should be a doddle because you don't have to worry about the cutting angle, not that that's the way it works out in practice of course. Anyway, if you want a get-you-started stone drop me a line.

Back
Top Bottom