Darwin Hollow Ground

Not really a restoration, more a good cleaning required. I've taken a few photos to show how this ingenious set works:

This shows how the razor is stored - you can see a blade holder in upright position, this lies flat for stropping.

The razor assembled for use

Other photos to follow.

The handle can be screwed into the side of the blade for honing. The scredriver fits in the base of the handle and is used to adjust the screw in the blade to increase blade exposure

Sliding the case backwards and forwards causes the blade holder to strop in both directions. The strop has two sides - Coarse and Fine.

Sorry, i meant the blade holder that should attach to the stropping mechanism andhold the blade in place for stropping. I assume it just screws in. I just have a bar with a threaded hole in it. Apart from that the kit is complete including spare blade.

I'll take a closer look but to be honest I would not worry too much as, like a lot of other automated stropping devices, it doesn't work as effectively as using a proper strop. If you attach the handle to the side of the blade i.e. as for honing, you can then strop on anything you have available. I honed the blade and will use a small double sided strop with red andblack pastes before attempting a full shave.

smithismund said:
Have you tried it yet Rob? How did it behave?

Not yet - I've not been shaving as much as usual over the holidays and then when I did need to,a Hoffritz turned up and got priority.

I'll leave SoTD entries for both when I get the camera out again.

I have one,managed to snag one off eBay some time ago as I wanted one,they look a work of art almost.
Not had a shave with it however as I am an SE shaver solely and don't know how to hone,will have to get it sent off for someone to do so I can actually shave with it.

Back
Top Bottom