De 89 style head

I must admit I'm rather impressed by my EJ De89 (shiney handle and all)
I note that a number of razors seem to have the same or similar heads... mostly EJ and Muhle, I think.

Do you lot have any favourites, and why? Does the handle really make that much difference. As long as you are fundamentally happy with the length, weight and balance... can't any other small differences be accommodated by the fingers?

Just wondering....

I'm guessing that the handles fitted by various "manufacturers" may vary considerably in diameter & cross handle shape, as well as in length & weight. All of which would have a bearing on how the identical razor head may perform. And once you add the user's size of handies & manual dexterity, not to mention preferences in regards to colour, materials & pattern; there's a wide market out there for differing handles I expect.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I find I get a better shave with the Muhle Grande handle than I did with the normal EJ handle.

I think the weight of the device will help cut through hairs better - I'm guessing momentum comes in to it.

However I'm going to extremes by getting Daz to make an even bigger handle than the Grande. If you watch FST section you may be able to get a bigger handle than the one you're using and see if it makes a difference, I might sell the Muhle Grande handle with the JEC handle arrives.

I've not got two razors with exactly the same heads. Having said that, my HD and FT Rockets have similar heads; the FT head is slightly flatter and little lighter, but the handle is lighter and a touch thinner. They definitely shave differently - the HD is a more aggressive razor even though I can't see any difference in terms of the blade gap or exposure.

I have a merkur 34c and the long handled version 38c, I would love to say there is no difference but the extra weight and length of the 38c makes the shave better for me.

Good answers! I have thought about the effect of a heavier handle... and extra handles seem to be readily available... but I wonder if a massive handle on a standard head might throw the balance out a bit.

I haven't exactly got small hands... but I think holding the EJ in a "dainty" grip (don't laugh) has its own benefits. But I'm quite tempted to try out bigger handle sometime.

Back
Top Bottom