DE Blade Challenge II

I have used this resource for a few years as a "compass" of some sort and can state that I agree with his findings for the vast majority of blades he has reviewed. Beware: you may see your "sacred cow" slaughtered. Regardless, it makes for good reading and may make one rethink a certain blade they tried & disregarded before. Ironically, Mr. Carrington used to post on this forum years ago and his is a name long associated with wet shaving for his valued opinions & experiences. Enjoy:

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de-blade-challenge-ii

Using that chart it seem a lot of blades with a few exceptions drop in both sharpness and smoothness after two days but may be used for one or two more days. So by only using a blade for two days as I do I always get the best out of the blade before it drops off in sharpness and smoothness . There are however a few blades that I would feel comfortable using for four maybe five days before any significant drop off. Very intresting indeed. Thank you for posting. :)

Fourth day here on a Personna blade. It still shaved close in my Parker 24C but smoothness tailed off and more skin tingle. I might get one more shave out of it.

So by only using a blade for two days as I do

I noticed the same thing. I have mostly used a 3 day rule. I am thinking I will change to a 2 day rule. Even on that basis, I should only spend £20 per year on blades max, but enjoy the best of shaves each day [meanwhile, off he goes to buy more razors and software that completely blows any so called economies out of the water]

I noticed the same thing. I have mostly used a 3 day rule. I am thinking I will change to a 2 day rule. Even on that basis, I should only spend £20 per year on blades max, but enjoy the best of shaves each day [meanwhile, off he goes to buy more razors and software that completely blows any so called economies out of the water]
Well an extra £20 a year on blades to ensure a perfect shave day after day is well worth it for me, there are a few I would use for 3-4 days one of them being the Lodz Polsilver but most I bin after two uses and have never thought ....I should have changed that or that wasn't as comfortabal as yesterday. Blow the economies give me comfort every time :)

I have used this resource for a few years as a "compass" of some sort and can state that I agree with his findings for the vast majority of blades he has reviewed. Beware: you may see your "sacred cow" slaughtered. Regardless, it makes for good reading and may make one rethink a certain blade they tried & disregarded before. Ironically, Mr. Carrington used to post on this forum years ago and his is a name long associated with wet shaving for his valued opinions & experiences. Enjoy:

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de-blade-challenge-ii

...interesting analysis and some real work here. A great resource for others- thank you for signposting...

thing is, with this type of subjective test, change one variable like say, put in three or 4 drops of glycerine at the start of the shave and every number changes.

i shave every other day, three shaves per blade. could get more out of some brands but not worth the risk of a shoddy shave.
the performance obviously changes with each shave but not enough to cause concern.

Back
Top Bottom