DE Blade Disposal

Hi Chaps,

May i ask your advice on the best way to dispose of used DE blades? My empties are starting to fill up but don't think it sensible to just chuck them for the obvious reasons

Cheers,

Dave

If your blades are the type that come in a small plastic box on the underside there's normally a slot where you can store disposed blades. It keeps them separate and you can't remove them from that compartment once they're in there.

Coke tin! When it's about half full up I shall fold it in half so the blades cannot escape then put it in the recycling (though that is dependent on the blades being secure of course).

Pineapple tin, empty of course, with the lid re-attached and a slot cut in at an angle near the edge so the blades can't come out. It will be years before it's full. I stick my old wrappers to it too.

Attachments

• SAM_0517 (263x350).jpg
    SAM_0517 (263x350).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 62
Tackleberry said:
Pineapple tin, empty of course, with the lid re-attached and a slot cut in at an angle near the edge so the blades can't come out. It will be years before it's full. I stick my old wrappers to it too.

Clever and cool! :icon_cool::icon_wink:

Bought mine from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3f06a3c10a&item=270694334730&nma=true&pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&rt=nc&si=smLQ7vF9OZeIzwLHucyfj6jVTYs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1050wt_947 unavailable now, but you can google, hairdresser suppliers stock it.

You can aways go hardcore industrial too http://comptools.co.uk/store/hafele-blade-bank-p-11610.html

You guys throw them out???
Much too useful to chuck em. They make excellent scrapers, are good at slicing through paper, cardboard, opening packages and slicing fingers open when I leave one lying in the bottom of the kit box!!! I now take them to work and dispose of them in the sharps box, too many cut fingers and curious kids. The coke and pineapple tins are a good idea though!

daz

i use a feather blade bank, it looks good next to be razor stand and does the job.

same as this one

images

I bought a sealed money tin from the £1 shop. Its a tall tin with a slot for coins only. To open it you have to use a can-opener, so seems safe enough.

The size of the tin, means I probably get years of used blades before I have to find a new solution.

Re: RE: DE Blade Disposal

bigsimes said:
I bought a sealed money tin from the £1 shop. Its a tall tin with a slot for coins only. To open it you have to use a can-opener, so seems safe enough.

The size of the tin, means I probably get years of used blades before I have to find a new solution.

I use these as well. I'd guess it to be about half full after about 18 months.

I'm also a Feather blade bank user.
I used to use a jar with a lid glued on and a slot cut in it, but the Feather banks look spanky and they're only a quid odd, when they're in stock!

As for recycling, I'm not a fan. Coke can + blades is one big unsplittable bundle of aluminium and steel, it may as well go in the landfill for all the mass of metal you're saving up over 6 months. It's an emotive subject though with differing opinions on both sides.

I work for the health service so I just have a small medical sharps bin hidden behind the sink. If I ever manage to fill it before I retire (which at the rate things are going will be in my 80's) I will dispose of it at work and get a new one.

i use an altoids mint tin

have glued it shut and cut a slot to put the blades in

when its full i glue it shut then into recycling

(i use aleenes quick drying tacky glue from my papercraft)

some good tips. I found an old metal tin (fairly hefty in it girth so should do me well for years.I didnt think about the sharps disposal. In the back of my mind i was thinking how best to get them recycled. Point taken about the steel/aluminium

Back
Top Bottom