DE or SE or mach3

Hi guys heading to green park tomorrow having been reading this forum and the net I'm interested in de or SE razors and may purchase one tomorrow are they really better than Mach 3 or do they just cut up and scar the face and do you have to trawl through blades till you find one suitable? I have shaved with a shavette once never again any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Most people rave about not using cartridge razors to save on costs as well as providing a closer shave but at what cost? Is the learning curve long and I'm not sure I want scars lie using diff shaving creams though, again any constructive and usueful advice please

If you have the manual dexterity to shave with a cartridge razor, you'll be fine with a DE.

Buy a decent, substantial razor - rather than a cheap knock-off - and stick with one approved brand of blades (aiming for around 3 shaves per blade) until you get through your first 50 blades.

I'd say its better than a cartridge (obviously!)

It sounds like you have a fear from having a bad shave from a shavette. In most cases a DE is nothing like using one of those. They won't cut you up and do take time to learn. You'd have to be using a DE a bit silly to get a cut so bad it would leave you with a scar.

As the second post says, you need to do some more reading and draw your own conclusions to see if its right for you. By asking this question on here, you'll only get a one sided response as a vast majority do not use cartridges regularly.

i get a much better closer shave with a DE than i did for the last 20 odd years of using cartridges.

you might get the odd tiny nick every now and again, buy a styptic pencil and there will be pretty much nothing noticeable by the time you've cleaned your razor under the tap.

it might take a while to learn good technique, but after a couple of shaves you will probably have the basics sorted (angle/no pressure) and be getting alright shaves.

if you buy a razor and dont get on with it, you can get most of your money back on here or ebay without much bother.

Hi Nishy. I use straights, SE, occasionally DE and a cartridge if I have to carry hand luggage when flying. None of them has given me a scar so far so I think you can forget any concerns you may have on that score.

I think you need to consider what you want to achieve - and then decide on which choice will get you there, because there are bound to be numerous choices.

An an example, several members of the forum use cartridges and a traditional brush and soap/cream lathering process. Others may use a DE but with pre-prepared foam type lather.

So the starting point is to consider what you do at the moment and analyse what parts are OK and which you think can be improved. If you decide for example that you would like to try a brush and soap/cream but stay with a cartridge then your next step is to look at what you have to spend and choose based on that. Further down the road you may want to look at DE or SE razors.

No-one can make a decision for you so, as Burgundy suggested, do some more research.

I wish you well.

Rob

Nishy said:
Hi guys heading to green park tomorrow having been reading this forum and the net I'm interested in de or SE razors and may purchase one tomorrow are they really better than Mach 3 or do they just cut up and scar the face and do you have to trawl through blades till you find one suitable?

Hi there,

Learning to use a DE razor will take you about a month. After that it's a done deal and mostly just a question of trying other razor/blade combos till you hit on some winners. You willing to commit that amount of time to see what a DE is like?

Another good option with much less time needed to get things right would be using a Sensor cartridge two blade system. The one without that lube strip would be what I would suggest, rather than the Excel model.

This razor gives a closer than an M3 shave, with a much better angle for holding the handle. Much more natural feeling, and nearer to what using a DE is like. It might take you a few times to figure out the tweaks. but it shouldn't be a problem. These blades are on the sharp side, so you will need to pay attention to detail more than when using the M3.

Hope that helps,

Martin

The nice thing about wet shaving is that it Not All or Nothing.
You can use the equipment that you have now and just add to it. 1. A reasonable Brush <10$/£. 2. A 'good' Soap/Cream. 3. An interesting Aftershave and a Balm.
Play with the idea, have fun.

I can get a good shave with the Mach 3 as I get with my DE. I still have room for improvement with the DE as I can't really honestly say I've had a truly BBS shave. I don't feel I could shave much closer with the M3.

The DE is more enjoyable to use, the whole process is more fun, and if you can stick to just one blade, it is cheaper.

I'd suggest starting with the Astra SP, learn your technique, and then try others from there, and see what suits you best. My personal favourite is the Personna Lab Blue.

I used to cut myself more with the Mach 3 than I have with the DE, so you won't need plasters, won't have scars, but may occasionally nick yourself, so get a Styptic Pencil, or alum block.

As dodgy says, if you want to stick to cartridge razors, there are better ones than the Mach 3.

Oh, and stay away from the shavette, those things are dangerous! A DE is NOTHING like that. Give it a go, you never know, you may be able to say goodbye to cartridges for good. If you want to, that is.

Given that (going by your previous posts) you use a brush and soap or cream, you've already made a big change to the way you shave and should notice an improvement in comfort and skin quality. If using a non-cartridge razor is a step too far for you then why change? If you're prepared or a learning curve and won't get disheartened or wound-up if the first few shaves you have aren't as close as you get with the cartridge, then a DE is probably the right choice. Modern SE razors are few and far between, and I doubt you'll find any in a bricks and mortar shop even in London. In fact, online is likely to provide a better range of DE options at more competitive prices than somewhere in central London.

As far as which model to buy, it all depends on your budget. I'm assuming that, since you were going to hit central London, you're prepared to spend a bit of money for something decent. This means you shouldn't be tempted by cheap but iffy build-quality stuff like Parkers, Weishis and Timors. Next consideration is new or vintage? Given that you're obviously scared of cutting yourself, you might feel happier with something mild. In the vintage line, the Gillette Tech springs to mind, but I'd suggest spending a bit more for something English-made and TTO like a Gillette HD rocket/UK aristocrat. They're comparatively easy to use, very well-made and stylish. If you want new and mild(ish), I'd recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 range. Some don't like them (Helveticum and dodgy spring to mind), but most find them effective and fairly gentle, and they are finished to a very good standard. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Merkur 34c, which is slightly more aggressive but is pretty much the Ford Mondeo of razors.

What you've got to bear in mind is that what shaving enthusiasts call "DE razors" were marketed as "safety razors" for a reason. You've got to be either exceptionally heavy-handed, stupid or both to do yourself appreciable damage. Attention to consistent blade angle and not applying any pressure other than the weight of the razor are the most important factors, as, unlike your Mach 3, a DE razor is much heavier and has no pivoting head or other mechanism to regulate how the blade meets your face.

Missed your query on blades - there is a degree of trial and error involved as what suits one person won't suit another. Really, the best advice is to get yourself a couple of packs of a decent, middle-of-the-road blade; something like Astra Superior Platinums or Personnas. Once you develop a decent technique with the razor (you can judge this if you're getting consistently decent shaves) you can buy a trial pack with many different types of blade. Most of us regard this as being an interesting experience, but, if you really don't want to bother, then you'd be best off sticking with your Mach 3.

chrisbell said:
Nishy said:
Ended up getting some Jermyn street a/s, face toner and a lathering mug from Taylor's

That sounds like a decent haul, and probably better value than a razor would have been.

Thanks Chris I did take your advice on board and spoke to the staff in TOBS and t+h; as you mentioned earlier the creams, soaps, lotions, oils and several brushes have dramatically improved my shave experiences I just can't IMO validate further expenditure on a DE when results are great ATM.

Having bought a skin toner I was wondering what thoughts if any you have
on this line of products given that to improve the skin time, scientifically one has to prepare below the epidermis (oral consumption) as well as topically however as our skin sheds daily the latter and with regards to the toner is obviously very temporary (some benefit may be protection).

I hear a lot about witch hazel and its benefits of closing pores however we were taught that with the skin, the more you aid it's function of natural balance the more it becomes dependent on this need e.g. Constant application of moisturisers results I'm dry skin if not added where as before the initial applications the skin may have been fine??

Sorry about the predictive text!

Just wait until you need to buy some more Mach 3s, for less than £15 you could pickup a used Gillette tech or similar or for £20 a new Edwin Jagger razor.

A 100 DE blades are less than £15 too.

Back
Top Bottom