Decatur Texas Antique Store Junket

Today, I had some time available to go some antique stores in Decatur, Texas. Decatur is slightly more than 40 miles North and West of the center of Fort Worth, Texas and approximately 70 miles North and West of the center of Dallas, Texas.

Decatur is a small community surrounded by expanses of prairie land. It is the county seat for Wise County. Decatur's population slowly but steadily risen from it's 1904 tally of 1,562 to just over an estimated 6,400 (July, 2008). Despite it's "low" population, Decatur flourishes because of its position in the county. Due to it's placement, Decatur still attracts farmers, ranchers, oil and gas workers, vacationers, citizens from surround areas, and it's own citizens in for everything from supplies to a peaceful night out on the town.

In 1896, the last of the four county courthouses was built. It came at a price of $110,000 ($2,810,388 in today's money) and is build of solid pink granite and Vermont marble. The building is still in use today and is rated one of the best historic courthouses in the country.

Wise-County-Courthouse-001a.jpg

This was the first time I had gone to the Wise County Courthouse Square. So this would be brand new territory for me.

I went to four stores along the courthouse square. In the first store them I made a nice discovery.
I asked the lady did she have any razors or shaving brushes. She said, "I only have one and here it is." She was not asking much for it at all. It needed a good home. So I told her that I would purchase the lonely little razor and take it home with me.

Here is the one lonely razor that she had in her shop.

7075383447_236a90e884_b.jpg

7075383473_d27d6ab237_b.jpg

Other than some minor scratching and a small crack in the case it was an excellent value.

The only other razor was in another shop that wanted an outrageous price for a Slim with no case. The owner of that shop was not even interested in answering my questions so I left.

The third and fourth shops had no items for traditional shaving. After making the rounds I went on my way for some other business that I needed to attend to while I was in town.

All in all, a real nice surprise on my little antique store junket.

(Decatur Texas Information Courtesy of: http://www.decaturtx.org/)

I seldom log in here without expanding my old horizons of knowledge. You guys are keeping this OAP well informed about life, the universe & almost everything !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Fido said:
Great post.

Practically near neighbours to my daughter who lives in McKinney. I'll be there again soon.

McKinney - Denton - Decatur are all good places just to roam around the old county squares.
Since they are all on the same highway it makes an easy day trip.
Great slice of Americana from yesterday and today.

I know you will enjoy your trip and stay with your daughter.

Back
Top Bottom