DeHaven Single Edge Self Sharpening Razors

Hi All

I am looking for some advise for a friend - she has just inherited 2 DeHaven razors, and wondered if they are worth anything. I haven't seen them as yet so testing the water.

The first i believe is a No 1 - in a wooden box with two blades and a tube of oil (she thinks) - the razor is clean and has no marks - and she believes everything opens as it should. Blades dont seem to have been used.

the second is a no 3 in a bakelite box, again two blades one blade seems to be showing sign of rust. again razor seems to open and close with no give.

So are these worth anything? if so what? (accept this is based on the limited info i have provided)

I see on google the blades are very proprietary - anyone come up with a recent blade that would work in these razors?

Anyone used them - quite tempted to take them off her - but only if they could be used etc?

if anyone can shed more light on these would be appreciated.

Made in the 1930s by Wedge Kempf Mechanical Laboratory, New York, USA.
This is a self sharpening razor. Supposedly, you sprinkled the blade with strop paste and the blade sharpened itself, more likely you would need to strop the blade and possibly hone it too.
Think they are more of a collectors item than a user, but nice razors to look at

Executive Shaving had one for sale at £65 - but there are various types and this was a number 3. I can't find any information on whether other blades such as Feather or Gem can be modified to fit - that suggests to me that they can't.

If you can get some detailed photos of the blade and dimensions it may be possible to see if the blades can be honed and stropped in the same way that Heljestrand and Wilkinson hollow ground can.

Thanks guys - just awaiting for the razors to turn up - once they will post some pics. I think will be looking at selling them. If anyone knows of collectors who would be interested please advise.

Thanks

A few people on B&B reckon it's virtually impossible to find NOS blades. One apparently sold on Ebay in 2009 for USD 24.99 while another went unsold at a starting price of USD 19.99.
In 2010 one of the guys reckoned on a value of USD 40-50 for a mint one with papers.

Back
Top Bottom