Derby blades - razor makes all the difference

Was given some Derby blades the other day, and whilst reviews on here aren't always favourable, members on other forums to tend to be impressed by them, particularly for people with sensitive faces (which I have).

Tried one a couple of days ago in my 7 O'Clock New and was disappointed with the results. Irritation, a few nicks and generally only a little more comfortable than the Laswer blades I gambled on from Wilko.

Last night I tried another Derby, this time in my Wilkinson Sword Classic, and can't believe the difference. Smooth, forgiving, no irritation and plenty sharp. Now it could just be an issue with QC in a batch, but I'm guessing the razor has a lot to do with it too (the 7 O'Clock being open comb, whereas you can barely see the blade on the Classic).

The odd think is though, the other three or four makes of blade I have tried previously have all been siginifcantly more comfortable on the 7 O'Clock when compared with the Wilkinson. Odd really.

That said, I'm pretty chuffed to have been given 50 Derbys which will be more than adequate as a daily blade on my Classic.

robwdavies said:
Was given some Derby blades the other day, and whilst reviews on here aren't always favourable, members on other forums to tend to be impressed by them, particularly for people with sensitive faces (which I have).

Tried one a couple of days ago in my 7 O'Clock New and was disappointed with the results. Irritation, a few nicks and generally only a little more comfortable than the Laswer blades I gambled on from Wilko.

Last night I tried another Derby, this time in my Wilkinson Sword Classic, and can't believe the difference. Smooth, forgiving, no irritation and plenty sharp. Now it could just be an issue with QC in a batch, but I'm guessing the razor has a lot to do with it too (the 7 O'Clock being open comb, whereas you can barely see the blade on the Classic).

The odd think is though, the other three or four makes of blade I have tried previously have all been siginifcantly more comfortable on the 7 O'Clock when compared with the Wilkinson. Odd really.

That said, I'm pretty chuffed to have been given 50 Derbys which will be more than adequate as a daily blade on my Classic.

I've heard that Derbys can be highly variable in quality even within the same pack - personally, I didn't persevere long enough with them to find a decent one, but it may be a complicating factor here.

QC is often mentioned as one of the complaints here, I'm not that regular user so others will be more qualified to comment but I've not had any bad ones so far. Okay, maybe 2 or three bad ones in my first 2 weeks, but all blades were bad ones then!
I'm quite a happy occasional Derby user.

Granted I have Just got really into the whole de shaving. But I used the derby that came with my muhle 89 for my last four shaves and didnt think it was that bad. Like i said I only just started so not that much experience but we will see after my next shave as I have put a persona platinum in now as that was reccomended. Then it will be the astra sp which seem to get good things said about them on here

malky39 said:
Granted I have Just got really into the whole de shaving. But I used the derby that came with my muhle 89 for my last four shaves and didnt think it was that bad. Like i said I only just started so not that much experience but we will see after my next shave as I have put a persona platinum in now as that was reccomended. Then it will be the astra sp which seem to get good things said about them on here

Wait till you put a 7 O'Clock sharpedge (yellow) in your Muhle - you'll see a huge difference.

I used that exact combination last night and had probably the best shave I've had yet.

Also used the Proraso blue cream for the first time - lovely, lovely stuff with that famed Proraso lather and glide.

Back
Top Bottom