Derby shave stick

Today I felt like shaving with one of my lesser used soaps Derby stick.

A couple of things I wanted to see, as it’s been a while since I’ve used it.

I like to keep it in my dopp bag for travel. Never had an issue of getting it to lather and being a stick. It doesn’t take up much space.

So I broke it out. Soaked the stick in a cup with just enough water to cover the open end and took a shower. I almost always shower before I shave.

Splashed my face with some water and Rubbed the stick on my face. I noticed a slight tingling. Then rubbed my brush on top of the stick and added a little water to it and lathered up with no problems. The tingling went away. Used my Razorock Bakelite Lupo razor. Did a 3 pass shave with touch up’s for a clean shave.

Finished up with a splash of skin braccer aftershave. Then some Nivea post shave balm.

What I like about Derby is that its one of those soaps that gets the job done very economically. I think I purchased 12 sticks with shipping and all, for like $24 a few years ago.

I have used it in hard and soft water areas and have never had an issue with getting it to lather.

It’s not the slickest, a little drying and not a scent that makes you wish they would make it in a cologne. But it gets the job done well enough for me as far as removing my whiskers.

I’m just wondering if it’s still in production anymore? Tallow soaps seem to be on the decline. While I can still find it on line. It appears that most of the vendors are out of stock on it?

For those of you that have ever used Derby. Stick or tub, what is your take on it?

I used the stick a few years back. Found it to be like a harder version of Arko with a sort of artificial lime musk smell.
I liked it a lot and don't know if it's still in production. Easy, thick lather.
Less easy to find than Arko and there seem to be more bowl versions than sticks now.

Last edited:
Today I felt like shaving with one of my lesser used soaps Derby stick.

A couple of things I wanted to see, as it’s been a while since I’ve used it.

I like to keep it in my dopp bag for travel. Never had an issue of getting it to lather and being a stick. It doesn’t take up much space.

So I broke it out. Soaked the stick in a cup with just enough water to cover the open end and took a shower. I almost always shower before I shave.

Splashed my face with some water and Rubbed the stick on my face. I noticed a slight tingling. Then rubbed my brush on top of the stick and added a little water to it and lathered up with no problems. The tingling went away. Used my Razorock Bakelite Lupo razor. Did a 3 pass shave with touch up’s for a clean shave.

Finished up with a splash of skin braccer aftershave. Then some Nivea post shave balm.

What I like about Derby is that its one of those soaps that gets the job done very economically. I think I purchased 12 sticks with shipping and all, for like $24 a few years ago.

I have used it in hard and soft water areas and have never had an issue with getting it to lather.

It’s not the slickest, a little drying and not a scent that makes you wish they would make it in a cologne. But it gets the job done well enough for me as far as removing my whiskers.

I’m just wondering if it’s still in production anymore? Tallow soaps seem to be on the decline. While I can still find it on line. It appears that most of the vendors are out of stock on it?

For those of you that have ever used Derby. Stick or tub, what is your take on it?
They're still readily available. I get UK links on eBay but here's an example. 12 sticks delivered for £20:

They're still readily available. I get UK links on eBay but here's an example. 12 sticks delivered for £20:

I can find it on eBay in the USA as well. But I don’t get why none of the on line shaving site’s don’t have any in stock?

I’m wondering if those eBay sellers have/had a big warehouse full. More than the online shaving vendors had anyway. So they still have it. But the online shaving vendors can’t source it for a profitable price or it’s unavailable for some reason?

I bought mine from Connaught Shaving who ship to the USA, but it's out of stock right now.

I think it's a pretty decent shaving soap. Maybe not the best post shave, but I have pretty greasy skin so a shaving soap being drying isn't something I worry about.

I think it's a pretty decent shaving soap. Maybe not the best post shave, but I have pretty greasy skin so a shaving soap being drying isn't something I worry about.

Over the years and trying a few different soaps. I have gravitated towards the hard soaps and away from the super fated cream/soaps.

While some of the budget Turkish soaps may be a little drying for me in the winter time. I can use something like Nivea balm or Everyman Jack shaving lotion and my face will feel fine. But if I don’t, it gets a little dryer than I like.

I get that some people like a using a super fated soap and can skip the post shave lotions and balms. I can’t do that. It seems that after a few shave’s I get acne. Nothing bad, but something I’d like to avoid.

I guess I’m skin type is neutral. But I have to be careful. As I’ve had reactions to some soaps and creams over the years

Over the years and trying a few different soaps. I have gravitated towards the hard soaps and away from the super fated cream/soaps.

While some of the budget Turkish soaps may be a little drying for me in the winter time. I can use something like Nivea balm or Everyman Jack shaving lotion and my face will feel fine. But if I don’t, it gets a little dryer than I like.

I get that some people like a using a super fated soap and can skip the post shave lotions and balms. I can’t do that. It seems that after a few shave’s I get acne. Nothing bad, but something I’d like to avoid.

I guess I’m skin type is neutral. But I have to be careful. As I’ve had reactions to some soaps and creams over the years

I react to a lot of shaving products, and most 'modern' shaving soaps with anything vaguely resembling a scent seem to make my face burn, so I largely avoid them. One of the few I can use is Stirling Sheep, which is good for the winter but leaves me face a bit greasy during the summer.

I think my skin definitely leans towards the greasier side of the spectrum, which is why I probably get on fairly well with budget Turkish shaving soaps.

The one thing I'm not really enthusiastic about the Derby shaving stick is that it is rock hard and be a little uncomfortable to face load. Nice lather though.

Back
Top Bottom