Desperately Seeking a Bay Rum Fix

G

Gairdner

I'm coming to the end of my bottle of Steve's magnificent Barbershop Bay Rum and without wishing to be put unnecessary pressure on that damn fine fella or make him feel bad in anyway, I'm going to miss it terribly. I've been rationing this finest of potions for a while now but all good things must come to an end.

I've tried a few others out there but none of them match up to the intoxicatingly wonderful scent or near-perfect skincare. Taylor's was good on the chops but I found the scent sickly and more of an artificial confection whereas I quite liked Pinaud's effort but aye, it's a tingler for sure. Ogallala wasn't bad on the skin and smelt better than TOBS but still left me really wanting. I couldn't give a toss for scent longevity as I'm happy to pick out a cologne or EdT but directly after the cold water rinse and dab down, I haven't found anything anywhere that can hold a candle to Barbershop Bay Rum.

It was a love affair that started slowly and smouldered before bursting into flame but even though I've been using it sparingly, I knew that it was still there to call upon when absolutely nothing else would do. Now my baby's about to leave me....

So what is out there that folks can recommend to bide me over or should I chance trying to make my own knowing that I could never quite equal my favourite? Would a WTB in the BST even be worthwhile?

If you read this, Steve, please, please don't take it the wrong way, after all, it is better to have loved and lost than to never have known such sweet heaven!

Please help this poor, lovelorn addict!

:D

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've been rationing the last of my Bay Rum from Steve but it's fast running out.

PS Very eloquently put Gairdner.

Gairdner said:
I'm coming to the end of my bottle of Steve's magnificent Barbershop Bay Rum

I've tried a few others out there but none of them match up to the intoxicatingly wonderful scent or near-perfect skincare. haven't found anything anywhere that can hold a candle to Barbershop Bay Rum.

So what is out there that folks can recommend to bide me over or should I chance trying to make my own knowing that I could never quite equal my favourite? Would a WTB in the BST even be worthwhile?

Please help this poor, lovelorn addict!

:D

Nothing more pitiful than a bay 'rummy' begging for a snort. Sheeesh, and you a menth head as well.

Ok, I personally found that Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice aftershave smelled the most like Barbershop Bay Rum. Yeah, it's very good, with a fragrance very similar to Steve's concoction. It impressed me, especially after having huffed many bay rum items over the years. Post shave skin care was to me not as good as the Barbershop, but most everyone really liked how that worked. I was definitely in the minority there.

Send me your mailing address and I will make some Krampert's magic for you. I have most of a bottle you're welcome to for whatever shipping costs me.

Martin

Martin, I am going to be doing some Christmas shopping very soon so will require your address. I had meant to send you something last year to express my gratitude for all you've done for me and passed my way but **** got in the way. Some may see it as monkey provision but I prefer to view such kindness as a chance to explore hidden delights that would I otherwise be ignorant of. I mean, vintage Shulton Old Spice cologne? Swiss Pitralon? And some of those EdTs not to mention vintage blades and NOS soaps. Yer an' Americky gent!

pjgh said:
... as one who has not yet loved this curious brew, I'm hoping to pop my cherry, so to speak. Help a Bay Rum virgin find a sophisticated lover, eh? :D

The thing about bay rum scented stuff is that everyone has their own take on what notes that should consist of. Yeah, there's a wide range of interpretations and it can be a real crapshoot.

I personally like a somewhat 'gourmand' kinda bay rum, with foody notes like orange or clove or cinnamon and maybe vanilla added to the mix. Not all bay rum frags are like that.....not even close.

The EO most and mainly associated with bay rum is Pimenta Racemosa. Look for a product with that as an ingredient for your best luck.

Martin

Titch said:
Braveblades care to share the recipe?

sure - it was a bit of a blend of two diff ones (i never do anything by the book) - ill see if i can remember what i tweaked lol

1/2 Cup of Black Rum
1/4 Cup of Witch Hazel
1 Tablespoon glycerin
30ish drops of Bay West Indies Essential Oil
7-8 Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice, ground
1 Stick Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Zest of 1 orange

throw it all in a jar - shake daily for 4-6 weeks then strain and bottle

now i used Captain Morgans Rum (not spiced - just the dark stuff) i'm sure you're meant to use white rum - but i love the Caribbean smell of the dark stuff.

I spilt a drop or two smelling the first shake up and rubbed it into the skin on back of my hand - it seemed to dry in reasonably quick with a light moisturizing effect but the smell wasn't overly strong (which is to be expected since it had no time to absorb the scents)

I'm not claiming this is the best recipe ever as I haven't finished brewing it as yet, but you asked lol :-/

on the plus side - i had most of a bottle of rum to drink after making this stuff :)

Being a keen "make at homer" I am likely to have a crack myself. Whenever I've done this, I've always researched and found a definitive article to stand at the yardstick against which my efforts can be measured.

Looks like that yardstick is more a stick of spaghetti!

It's rum, bay, clove, aura cacia ... and voodoo. If I do make it, I'll probably drink it before it's ready :D

Here's hoping Steve can be pressed back into altruistic labour or Braveblades comes through with a proverbial winner.

Is ginger a skin irritant? Rum without ginger ain't right! It's early, but I'm enjoying rum, ginger wine and ... well ... erm ... that's it.

:icon_rolleyes: sad thing is - even if i find a winner - chances of me recreating it exactly are slim - as much like my cooking - my measurements kind of go with my mood - (i'm fairly sure i added more witch hazel or rum or both than recipe called for, also fairly sure i added a little more glycerol too)

recipes i found were here
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Aftershave
http://www.learningherbs.com/homemade_aftershave.html

Back
Top Bottom