Different Razors

Hello all
I started this shaving journey with a Merkur 34C.

Obtained a few other razors since but just can't seem to get going with em.
Will that be technique and should I persevere or just stick with the Merkur?

Cheers
Sin

I think some are for you and some are not.

I started with a Progress and after one year acquired more razors. I have learned from quite a few of them:

Mikael PIF'd me and old type ball end (Open Comb). It taught me to be very accurate with the angles, otherwise it just would not cut. And it helped my overall technique. These days I don't use it, it's just too cumbersome.

I bought a GEM Micromatic from pedro83. It taught me a thing or two about pressure. Helped the overall technique as well. It gets used a lot and I love it, but its an aggressive one. I prefer it to the Ever-ready 1912 I have.

I have a british aluminium handled ball end tech, which is very mild, but shaves nicely. I use it for travels mostly.

Then I have an aristocrat Jr., which I do not get along with. Im sure its a nice razor, but for me the shaves are not up to par, on the other hand it is one aggressive son of a b***h, which gives me a nice sore face every time.

These days I can't wait to get up in the morning and take the 37c slant out for a ride. It is the best of the lot for me, no irritation, every time BBS results, and its the razor that has nicked me the least of the lot.

I'm sure not all razors are for every one, it's just a matter of finding those that are for you, and then either put the others in a display cabinet or sell them off. But if you have only tried straight bar DE's so far, I would say try some OC's, a slant, some SE's as well. All of the razors I have tried (only 7 so far) shave very differently, but there is a lesson to be learnt from each one of them. And each of these lessons will make the experience with one of your "old" razors different too.

/Max

The Merkur 34C was a great choice. It is understandable to try different razors but not a surprise that you should still be happy with the Merkur. I doubt it's technique, just an excellent first choice!

If a 34C is what suits you then well done you for starting off with a bit of kit which may well be all you're going to need from now on. It's a nice razor and, like every Merkur I've seen, looks as if it was made from a spare part from an armoured vehicle ! You're never going to wear that bad boy out, so I'd just settle down to enjoy it were I you.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Your technique is likely to be the same regardless of razor so its probably the design of the differenr razors your using or blades.
The Merkur may well be your 'go to' razor at the moment but I'm sure you'll find other favourites before too long :)
regards, beejay

Thanks for the replies.

I do love the Merkur. I will keep on with the others I have.
The Merkur is definately my Number one razor of choice.

Used it this morning with a tiger blade. Sweet shave indeed.
I'm wondering as well if I wasn't creating a good enough lather which may have made the shave poor with the other razors.

The lather I made this morning was much better with a happy accident....
After first pass I flipped the lather bowl into the sink of water. :oops:
The additional water seems to have made a better lather so I will be experimenting further with my lathering.

Thanks again.

Yeah lather might help. I use TOBS lemon and lime and used to just plonk it on brush and lather on face. Was decent enough but now on second tub of same, i've decided to keep the empty one to use as a bowl.

Used it yesterday with my TOBS cream and last night with my Real Shaving Co Cream and gives me more lather with just a few extra drops of water from the brush each time i make a pass.

Back
Top Bottom