Diptyque Tam Dao - very strange!

I've been looking forward to the arrival of a bottle of Dyptique Tam Dao over the weekend. It just turned up and has thrown me into a quandary of self-doubt! It doesn't smell of anything!

So either Tam Dao has a very subtle fragrance and is not the woody, spicy, balmy, powdery, floral nose-bomb I have been expecting - or - the bottle sent to me is without the necessary ingredients, sans sniff, defunct and has definitely fallen off its perch!

In spite of the evidence - total lack of niff - I'm doubting myself. They can't have got it this wrong, it must be me. But it plain don't smell! Nada! Zero! Nothing!

The sample they sent with it is gorgeous! but I don't know what it is! Its little box has the same logo as Tam Dao but has a big '34' in the middle instead. So you'd guess it's called '34'. Well and good but I cannot find any reference to Diptyque 34 anywhere! Oh! not unless I Google with a 'y' and not two 'i''s - scrub this bit. But does this mean I can't smell as well as can't spell?

Question is - how strong a perfume is Tam Dao?

Strong enough for you to be able to smell it for a good five to six hours. Sounds like you have a duff bottle, mind me asking where you purchased from Carl.

The 34 is in full "34 Boulevard Saint germain", haven't sniffed this one though.

Had I bought from ebay, I'd feel perfectly comfortable and would have filed a claim - but I bought from Diptyque, Paris, from whom I did not expect a duff bottle!

Why won't your new car go? Because they forgot to put an engine in it!

My bottle must have been made on a Friday or maybe the night shift - couldn't be bothered to top up the drums of smelly stuffs till they were all empty. The alcohol is there in the carrier liquid so it dries quickly but leaves a greasy film behind.

Thanks for tge reassurance that it isn't my nose at fault!

Take it into your nearest John Lewis or House of Frazer, they both have Diptyque counters and see if they cant smooth this over for you fella, its on the pricey side to just write off.

Not wanting to be a nosey bastard, but was there any reason that you didn't purchase from within these shores.

Jeesh! no intention of just writing it off - I await reply from Diptyque!

I bought where I bought for the same reason I buy everything where I buy it - best price. For perfume I try to stay inside EU because I don't want to pay £8 as well as VAT and perfume always gets hit by Customs. In this instance, I'd have bought from John Lewis if only they had showed in my perfume search engine - saved myself the fiver for delivery. And maybe got a bottle with smells inside!

If push comes to shove, I'll try JL for satisfaction in this - but I hope Paris comes good with some suitably embarrassed offers of goodies.

If all else fails you know I can always be depended upon for an urgent despatch of Brut EDT (smellable at 33 paces) Bro. I'm just not entirely sure that it's exactly what you had in mind to smell of, but then, we can't have everything.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

JohnnyO said:
If all else fails you know I can always be depended upon for an urgent despatch of Brut EDT (smellable at 33 paces) Bro. I'm just not entirely sure that it's exactly what you had in mind to smell of, but then, we can't have everything.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

Oh? Can't we? And why not?

I had to go through JL Oxford Street and got a London phone number for Diptyqueparis.co.uk and the most helpful Amanda picked up the phone - she turns out to be MD, which may explain how she was so assured.

She thinks I may be mistaking a light perfume such as Tam Dao for one without fragrance but will investigate when I return the bottle. Meantime she is sending me samples based on 'dark woody' and 'woody aoudh' (to use all the letters I've seen it spelled with) so I can choose a replacement fragrance should I wish to.

Sounds like I'm sorted!

A mate is due shortly so we'll check this out with his (smoker's) nose before I go to the PO.

RB73 said:
Take it into your nearest John Lewis or House of Frazer, they both have Diptyque counters and see if they cant smooth this over for you fella, its on the pricey side to just write off.

Not wanting to be a nosey bastard, but was there any reason that you didn't purchase from within these shores.

Just be advised that not every John Lewis carries this line...

Bechet45 said:
I've been looking forward to the arrival of a bottle of Dyptique Tam Dao over the weekend. It just turned up and has thrown me into a quandary of self-doubt! It doesn't smell of anything!

So either Tam Dao has a very subtle fragrance and is not the woody, spicy, balmy, powdery, floral nose-bomb I have been expecting - or - the bottle sent to me is without the necessary ingredients, sans sniff, defunct and has definitely fallen off its perch!

In spite of the evidence - total lack of niff - I'm doubting myself. They can't have got it this wrong, it must be me. But it plain don't smell! Nada! Zero! Nothing!

The sample they sent with it is gorgeous! but I don't know what it is! Its little box has the same logo as Tam Dao but has a big '34' in the middle instead. So you'd guess it's called '34'. Well and good but I cannot find any reference to Diptyque 34 anywhere! Oh! not unless I Google with a 'y' and not two 'i''s - scrub this bit. But does this mean I can't smell as well as can't spell?

Question is - how strong a perfume is Tam Dao?

If you're familiar with the Castle Forbes range of shaving stuff, this should smell just like the Cedar and Sandalwood shave cream or after shave balm from their range...

It's a very nutty, woody scent. Quite sharp and maybe even like a saw-dust type of smell....

Three noses at home say the bottle of Tam Dao had no scent. Diptyque say it smells exactly as it should - a soft, sandalwood scent, quite discreet.

I can't find a store here that sells it, so how to find another bottle to check this out?

Is there a Tam Dao owner here who would be prepared to put a couple of squirts into an atomiser I'd send, please? (No plain water jokers, please!)

This is half about discovering whether the emperor has clothes on or not and half about whether my nose works (it does for all other perfumes). Not quiet a mixed metaphor?

Diptyque have mailed some samples of frags to me so I can select a replacement botttle. Full marks for customer service!

What an excellent result! Amanda Morgan, who is MD at Diptyque London, has sent me a bottle of '34' to replace the 'Tam Dao' I didn't like and/or was a bit 'not right' and 75ml of 'Volutes' EdP for my inconvenience.

Well done Amanda and Diptyque for ensuring customer satisfaction.

That's so good to see a bit of decent service, not seen often enough these days.

I just had a 3 week battle with a seller on ebay for sending a new bottle of Selin that had a broken seal, so I asked for a replacement as it can't be sold as new if it's been opened, they said I was l telling lies and would only look into it if I proved it was open! They wanted me to pay to send it back (£3+) but would not pay for that so i got ebay to decide and they ruled in my favour, full refund from paypal.

Back
Top Bottom