Disinfection & Cleaning of Razors

there is a lot of false information on the world about proper sterilization of medical equipment written in the early 1980s, right when the world started discovering something called AIDS existed, and is still published as being factual.

For example a CDC pamphlet for surgery in the field says a disposable plastic needle and syringe can be resterilized. The pamphlet is from 1986. Read about the CDC recommendation on "sterilizing and reusing needles"? Their take post 1990 is DONT TRY.

In the 1990s there was an aids scare in florida? at a dentists office when around 15 patients came down with aids. It was finally determined it was from the dental tools. Grease inside it was preventing the autoclave system from doing ANYTHING to the aids virus trapped under the grease.
They have subsequently changed the design many times, but no one can say how many old units are in use.

In the 1990s there was an aids scare in florida? at a dentists office when around 15 patients came down with aids. It was finally determined it was from the dental tools. Grease inside it was preventing the autoclave system from doing ANYTHING to the aids virus trapped under the grease.
They have subsequently changed the design many times, but no one can say how many old units are in use.

Grease wouldn't prevent an autoclave from sterilising. That was from back when they were still using liquid sterilisation for dental kit. It shows why boiling is better for killing off microcritters potentially lurking inside TTOs and adjustables, though :)

What I usually do with second hand razors is this: I dismantle it, put it in my stainless steel teacup that I use at work, pour bleach on it and forget about both razor and cup for about half an hour. I think that would destroy any idea of germs and makes my teacup nice and shiny again. Like new! However, if the razor has aluminium parts they might become black... or eats away the plating if it is very old. But I have an ace up my sleeve! I take it to work and have it replated [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

you don't even have to bother with the paper. ~90% alcohol would take care of drying. It might look wet, but it will help residual water to evaporate and a minute later it will be completely dry, without tiny flakes of TP everywhere.

Very true...the main reason I dry it with tissue is to reduce the smell of the alcohol. maybe I should try using some of Fergiebilly's napalm and then set fire to it.:rolleyes:

Grease wouldn't prevent an autoclave from sterilising. That was from back when they were still using liquid sterilisation for dental kit. It shows why boiling is better for killing off microcritters potentially lurking inside TTOs and adjustables, though :)
All I can remember about the actual autoclave system was the article said it was "pressurized". But they did testing on it, and a piece of metal smeared with contaminated blood, then smeared with grease, and then put through sterilizer systems, the grease prevented anything in the autoclave or sterilizer system from coming in contact with blood and killing any organisms.

Also, The cdc did a study in the 1990s involving medical tools contaminated with blood borne pathogens such as aids and hiv, and used industrial smelters to try to kill the diseases. Problem is, they only managed to melt and deform the medical tools, not kill the virus.

All I can remember about the actual autoclave system was the article said it was "pressurized". But they did testing on it, and a piece of metal smeared with contaminated blood, then smeared with grease, and then put through sterilizer systems, the grease prevented anything in the autoclave or sterilizer system from coming in contact with blood and killing any organisms.

Also, The cdc did a study in the 1990s involving medical tools contaminated with blood borne pathogens such as aids and hiv, and used industrial smelters to try to kill the diseases. Problem is, they only managed to melt and deform the medical tools, not kill the virus.
Can you please post a link to the study you refer to? I'm really curious about it. Also, all autoclave systems (as far as I know) are pressurised. That's why you need a certain amount of water inside to create vapor. I don't think grease would prevent sterilization, as the elevated pressure raises the boiling temperature of the water, so basically everything is well above 100C. If that doesn't kill the little critters, I have no idea what you can do at home without exposing yourself to some serious hazard (from the sterilization process. Scorched earth and all...).

the grease in the dental tools created a protective environment for the virus to live in contaminated blood. its most easily expressed as this

a cooler is filled with infected blood, the cooler is put inside an oven for an hour. the cooler protects the infected blood from all heat.

the grease in the dental tools created a protective environment for the virus to live in contaminated blood. its most easily expressed as this

a cooler is filled with infected blood, the cooler is put inside an oven for an hour. the cooler protects the infected blood from all heat.
I understand, but even though thermalization is a relatively slow process, an hour is supposed to be more than enough to allow the blood and everything in it to go well beyond denaturation temperature. At this point, I don't think anything survives. With that said, I know there are bacteria and such that can survive hard vacuum and extreme cold or radiation levels, so there's always an exception...

yes, AIDS and HIV. Look at the max temperature in a hospital autoclave. and then go look at the temperature at with steel dental implements MELT.

the implements have a higher melting point then the autoclave can make, yet the melted tools still had live virus on them.

yes, AIDS and HIV. Look at the max temperature in a hospital autoclave. and then go look at the temperature at with steel dental implements MELT.

the implements have a higher melting point then the autoclave can make, yet the melted tools still had live virus on them.

That would be impossible as AIDS is not the virus its the name of the condition. Id also be interested in a link to that article.

There's a difference between melting something *locally*, and having the whole thing steady at a high temperature. Sure, metals are great thermal conductors (compared with other materials), but have you ever soldered? On the very edge of the soldering material it transitions into liquid state, but you can still hold it far enough in your hand. I don't want to go back and forth with this, just asked if you have a link cause I'm lazy. I can look it up myself if you can remember any kind of information like where it was conducted etc. (I can do without this as well, it would just take longer...).

This should do it.
38f031715a1d1a11b98353438da456ee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom