Disposing of blades

Hi all,

As a total beginner to the DE, I was wondering about the disposal of used blades. I was thinking of getting one of those yellow plastic boxes that you see in hospitals, but it wouldn't look very nice sat on my shelf in the bathroom. Does anybody have ideas or recommendations as to alternatives ?

Cheers

Jonno

PeterFranks said:
You can only securely lock a sharps bin once. After that it's supposed to be destroyed by incineration - not sure you can just dump it in the bin or take to the tip.
Absolutely no way must a burn bin go in the general waste even if its not got clinical waste in it. You would have environmental health going boo-loo, and if the bin men found it in your bin expect a vist from the council man with a very stern face.
Disposal of sharps bins is expensive too so not many chemists will offer free disposal unless they know you are getting needles and syringes from them.
You could register as a drug addict at your local needle exchange service - they will provide and dispose of sharps bins for you, but you get to meet some slightly dodgy types :shock:

1) Get small jar with metal lid.

2) Wash jar out, put lid back on.

3) Tape or superglue lid back on.

4) Use sharp knife to cut a small slot in the lid.

5) Use a depository for a few hundred blades.

6) Once full, put in dustbin.

CanucksTraveller said:

Almost the same, but I have one of those mahoooooosive tins from the pound shop which once full I will pop a blob of weld over the slot and chuck in the scrap metal bin.

I agree..put a nice pic on the front as well!... :lol:

B

CanucksTraveller said:

Because its illegal to dispose of clinical waste in the domestic waste. No matter what is in it a sharps bin is classed as clinical waste (mainly because no one knows whats in it unless its opened and you wouldnt want to open a sharps bin or yellow clinical waste bag, really you wouldnt).

I popped into Poundland at lunchtime and found the very thing...

[attachment=0]
As well as keeping my spent blades out of harm's way, there's a nice picture of Hermione on it ;)

Attachments

• Sharps_Tin.jpg
    361 bytes · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom