DIY - Im need of a new drill

Hey chaps,

Well i'm currently in progress of decorating my house, i've almost finished my kitchen however I live in a Victorian house with very tough bricks so I always struggle to drill any decent holes in the walls for shelving etc.

Can anyone recommend a drill that will do this job easily... at the moment I have a black & decker drill (bog standard).

Any recommendations will be very handy, I might wait till Jan to buy anything as I might grab myself a bargain from somewhere.

Many thanks

Stuart

I live in Leominster, Herefordshire, bit far away for me :(

Cant go wrong with a closing down sale... surprised they just dont transfer that stock to another branch

You really need a SDS drill with SDS drill bits, Makita will do.

If budget doesn't stretch that far Screwfix's TITAN range is supposed to be okay, their 2kg machine should be fine.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with the SDS drill, i've been googling it and it seems to be the way forward...

The budget will have to stretch if the wife wants her shelves up.

Last year I put some brackets up in the shed (which is the same bricks as the house) and it took me hours and a lot of sweat! Wont be doing that again.

Thanks for advice guys

They can be vicious that's true, trick I found is to half depress the trigger make some headway into the hole before fully engaging the SDS otherwise it can just explode on the surface and use a drill one size smaller than the plug demands, so 7mm for a brown plug.

They can be vicious that's true, trick I found is to half depress the trigger make some headway into the hole before fully engaging the SDS otherwise it can just explode on the surface and use a drill one size smaller than the plug demands, so 7mm for a brown plug.
Thanks for the tip antdad, I always struggle with masonary drilling so hopefully this can be answer for it... my own fault for choosing a Victorian house to buy lol

The key to SDS is to start on rotation only...do the meat of it with hammer and rotation....and if you're going THROUGH the wall, switch to rotation only to finish, to prevent the brick face blowing off

The key to SDS is to start on rotation only...do the meat of it with hammer and rotation....and if you're going THROUGH the wall, switch to rotation only to finish, to prevent the brick face blowing off
Thanks for that Daniel, I may have to create some 'air holes' in a cupboard that is getting damp, it is on an external wall so hopefully drilling a few holes may solve this problem. Your tip will come in handy

Buy a cheap SDS drill but decent SDS drill bits. Mine is a TITAN from Screwfix it cost very little and came with several bits made from cheese. Decent bits will obviously stay sharper but also give a much cleaner hole shape / size

Thanks for that Daniel, I may have to create some 'air holes' in a cupboard that is getting damp, it is on an external wall so hopefully drilling a few holes may solve this problem. Your tip will come in handy
If you need some ventilation then fit a proper air brick, buy a three function drill (rather than two) with roto stop then you can chisel out the brick and make a relatively tidy job of it (the next owners will appreciate it). As for drilling method use what works, if the bricks are really really hard (like my old place) then I prefer my method using less rotational speed and therefore less hammer to start the hole, if you can make inroads without using SDS to start then use Daniels.

I do have the Makita mentioned above (which presumably isn't what the OP was looking for).

I also have one of these too......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633821-Plus-Hammer-Drill/dp/B000OOBO1G

...........although it's badged differently. You used to see them everywhere with a varity of brand names on. It cost me around £30 including some SDS drill bits and chisel bits, and that was fifteen years ago. It wouldn't be any good for a builder using it day in day out but for occasional use round the house/garden it's unbeatable and still not a bad price. Have used it to break up stuff like concrete around fence posts etc or drill serious holes in hard materials.

If you need some ventilation then fit a proper air brick, buy a three function drill (rather than two) with roto stop then you can chisel out the brick and make a relatively tidy job of it (the next owners will appreciate it). As for drilling method use what works, if the bricks are really really hard (like my old place) then I prefer my method using less rotational speed and therefore less hammer to start the hole, if you can make inroads without using SDS to start then use Daniels.

I was thinking about buying this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-HR...651854?hash=item2a5a3e31ce:g:L6YAAOSwI-BWOIVE

what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom