Do I need a Pre Shave treatment.

shanky887614 said:
sjedwardz said:
I use proraso pre every now and then, not too sure it makes much of a difference but I do like the tingle from the menthol.

i usually use prorasso because it makes your face slightly sticky so it helps with face lathering if your stubble doesn't grow evenly

I've found I don't really NEED a pre shave treatment, but I actually enjoy Proraso pre/post shave cream.
And I use it just like that, before and after my shave. Helps me feel really refreshed and clean.

I sometimes slap some hair conditioner on my stubble and leave it there whilst i do my lather, whether it makes any difference or not i cant say, i mostly wash my face with an exfoliator wash to get rid of dead skin cells prior to my conditioner thingy though.

I'd echo what Canuck has stated, I use it but it's more because I just like doing the process, massaging my face and feeling the direction of beard growth. It's just become part of my routine now which works for me so I see no reason to change it. I use T&H which isn't really expensive and a little goes a long way.

I use the white proraso pre/post and have used the normal one before, which is quite mentholly ( if that is indeed a word!).

If you are new to wet shaving I would not bother initially and see if a hot shower before is enough - for most it is.

for me its now part of my ritual, and I have tried without but i think it does add something to the shave ( not just cost!). If you get some and dont like it, then you will be able to sell it on BST here, so all will not be lost.

I've tried it all - hot flannels, hair conditioner, pre-shave oils, leaving a lather on for extra time etc. Figured the best shaves I get are the ones when I just do it with no prep (except for a shower) whatsoever, but mind you I go for a cold water shave, it's a bit different. But I do use Proraso pre/post quite often - purely for the cooling sensation.

Think that after a week or so of getting used to creating a good lather with a decent soap or cream (& I'd count almost any of the currently available soaps and creams decent in comparison to canned gels or foams & accelerants) accompanied by a nice, light, gentle shave with your choice of DE & blade you'll be well impressed with both the results & the improvement in your skin condition.
Time enough then to think about launching out into the limitless range of pre (& indeedly post) lotions & potions available.
When beginning it's usually best to remain with as few variables which affect your shave as possible, my view. Get those basics correct and a whole new world of pampering awaits. & it needn't cost as much as you may imagine. Cost of a few disposable Gillette carts got me a complete soap, balsaam & splash set from one of our own members.

Enjoy the journey.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Water is very good :); and leaving lather on for a while as Wil says above seems beneficial. That one works out well for cut throat users because you can strop the razor while the lather is doing its thing, but I'm sure DE users can come up with a similar displacement activity. Proraso pre/post provides a very odd but pleasant experience if combined with a hot flannel; whether it does any good or not I couldn't say.

MisterG said:
I'm reading this with real interest now.
I quite fancy the Proraso pre/post but can't decide whether to pay a tenner for 100ml or bite the bullet and hit £20 on the 500ml

think about it this way

buy the 500ml. you can always sell some of it on the bay or pif it

Julese34 said:
Lose the beard said:
I can Wet Shave with a Gillette Fusion and some dodgy Gillette Gel without any pain or rash....

Just an observation, but if you are shaving with this set-up and not suffering any irritation, why are you looking for pre-shave treatments?

If you are okay with your current set-up, I would stick with it.

Jules

Fairy snuff!

IMHO a pre-shave treatment is not nessecary. I know some people really rate them but I've tried quite a few and I find that most seem to hinder the lather adhering to your face or just make your face sticky.

Prep properly with a mild face soap and hot water and a good lather and you should be okay. For a touch of luxury heat a wet towel up in the microwave and spritz it with a cologne that you like and hold to your face for a couple of minutes.

If you want to try a really cheap and readily available pre-shave treatment, try olive oil before you buy anything expensive.

Regards

Jules

shanky887614 said:
Buy the 500ml. you can always sell some of it on the bay or pif it

I've just gone for the 100ml. That way I can try it, then try the sensitive before making any big choice. Also I had enough "shave points" from the shaving shack to cover the cost!

I tried a shave with a few squirts of menthol oil applied directly to my face then lather up as usual and I think that the experience was smoother. Only just though.....so don't know if oil will feature in any further shaves.

Back
Top Bottom