DO I NEED TO ADJUST?

Okay so I love Rockets and I'm very fond of Techs too but I've never tried an American adjustable (either slim or fatboy). I'd like to ask those of you who have experience of these razors - am I missing out or should I stick with the Brits?

I like adjustable razors if you want a comfort shave turn them down if you want a close shave turn them up and then down on the next pass you can have 2 razors for the price of 1 you can go mild to aggressive.

I have found that my skin changes over time so aggressive is not so good or mild becomes too mild and you adjust accordingly.

Thats what adjustable's are about and those shavers out there that don't have one will cover all the bases in their rotation with a mix of mild and aggressive razors.

Just to add some balance I couldn't get on with my slim adjustable at all. My face seems better suited to modern rather than vintage which is a shame but c'est la vie. Some of these razors attract ridiculously high prices,maybe you could borrow one before spending?

I couldn't see the difference. Used to do 3 passes with Fatboy (and Slim), same 3 with Aristo, same with a slant - all BBS. Slant handles long stubble better though, that's the only difference.

You are always going to think you are missing out until you've tried one, personally I like the fatboy but I find they are inherently mild and best suited to blades at the sharper end of the range, a Fatboy & feather used to be THE combo albeit across the pond.

I think you just need to try something with a bit more bite but it needn't be an adjustable.

antdad said:
You are always going to think you are missing out until you've tried one, personally I like the fatboy but I find they are inherently mild and best suited to blades at the sharper end of the range,
I think you just need to try something with a bit more bite but it needn't be an adjustable.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. There's plenty of non adjustables that run the bite gamut. Mainly I think that feature would most often help people looking for a milder razor.

I think a new Merkur Progress (not Mergress) is about £40 which is probably the going rate for an average caseless fatboy, a bit less for the Slim.

Not looked at prices recently so vintage might not be accurate.

[/quote]

So what would you suggest might provide a bit more bite (non-adjustable)?

Well I don't reckon you NEED to try anything but if you fancy trying an adjustable you might as well go for it or your curiosity is just going nag continually!

You can pick up a Slim pretty cheaply, £20-30 in good condition, less if you get lucky or find one that's a bit worn. A Fatboy will be much more, £60-70 maybe more. There's one being passed around here though and even if you bought one you should be able to sell it again for what you paid.

If you want to try something more aggressive you might want to consider an open comb, I recently tried a New that was a very nice razor. They're not too hard to find and reasonably priced.

Vintage = Most open combs.

Vintage/New = Slants

Besides the silly aggressive R41, I don't think a major manufacturer makes a reasonable open comb anymore. There are quite a few custom razor makers out there but they are priced accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom