DO I NEED TO ADJUST?

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I've never thought about trying an open comb before due to fear of excessive blood loss, but now I'm curious to try one. So now I need/want to try both an adjustable and an open comb just for the experience. I knew it would be a mistake to join this forum!

p.s. would it be a bad idea for me to trawl the Bay of E for these razors, or is it too hit and miss?

My advice would be to put a "Wanted" in the BST section in preference to Ebay, but it's personal choice. And mention if you want a shaver rather than a collectible.
I'm not going to favour any of our well known collectors & dealers in the forum, however I really only buy (& not that much) from our own guys as they are trustworthy, describe the kit exactly as accurately as they can and will give a fixed & fair price rather than a bidding war.
(Incidentally I like my shaving quality Slim but I also go with Canuck in believeing that a slant might just float your boat).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Rocket Man said:
p.s. would it be a bad idea for me to trawl the Bay of E for these razors, or is it too hit and miss?

Hi there,

Well, people are selling old razors that have somehow survived, and members of shaving forums are your best bet to purchase one. We're talking about 40-50 year old pieces with certain tolerances that do get knocked outta whack sometimes. Any obvious flaws might be obvious to a seller here, since they'd know better what to look for.

Still, I know lots of people have good luck bidding, so it's your call.

Martin

I did go for the Gillette Adjustable over the Merkur Progress. Years id go with the 65 or 66. Think that these were the best. If you want new... The Merkur Futur would be my pick. Good luck.

Well I've now tried a Fatboy (thanks to Dodgy) and a slim (thanks to Jamie) but didn't really get on with either of them. I found them too mild on the low settings and not smooth enough on the high settings. I didn't experience any nicks or irritation, I just didn't enjoy the shaves from these razors.

However, thanks to the suggestions of forum members I have also tried a Slant and two open combs; a New and a #15, all purchased through this forum. I much prefer the shaves that I get from these razors in terms of both comfort and closeness. I think I'm going to start selling off the milder razors that I have accumulated and I might move on to try a Joris or Muhle r89 head next.

Thanks to TSR for all the help and advice and for enabling me to find the razors that suit me best. I'm no longer adjustable but I am enslanted!

Try a Myatt Daymark with the large U-comb head. There are also Myatt versions of the Gillette Old-type labelled as Myatt Daymark but when you see the U-comb head, you'll know it alright - 'tis a weird looking thing. I shaved with mine for the first yesterday and had an excellent shave.

Rocket Man said:
Well I've now tried a Fatboy and a slim but didn't really get on with either of them. I found them too mild on the low settings and not smooth enough on the high settings. I didn't experience any nicks or irritation, I just didn't enjoy the shaves from these razors.

However, thanks to the suggestions of forum members I have also tried a Slant and two open combs; a New and a #15, all purchased through this forum. I much prefer the shaves that I get from these razors in terms of both comfort and closeness. I think I'm going to start selling off the milder razors that I have accumulated and I might move on to try a Joris or Muhle r89 head next.

Good points about how various razors perform, and being able to fine tune the kinda shave that's best. I know just what you're talking about with those OC types, although I'm just the opposite when it comes to personal druthers.

If you get a chance, try a New Improved or for even more bite a New Deluxe head.

Martin

I have a New Improved (New Standard) tucked away till Christmas. Looking forward to giving it a go although I think it'll be more aggressive than I like so I'll take it easy.

Back
Top Bottom