Dodgy website scripts?

I normally run an adblocker as extra security on my pc, but I have disabled it on TSR, to ensure that you get any revenue you need.

However, the last couple of weeks the ads have changed. It used to be amazon only. Now I'm getting other things. Right now I've got "win a mini" at the bottom, and a rather scantily clad lady at the top.
I have also installed an add on called "no script" that screens against malicious scripts, after my pc started trying to link to an ad server. I can browse the internet with no problems at all, but the moment I come on here I get no-script issuing a warning that its blocked a malacious script that is trying to cross site reference.

cruciate said:
I normally run an adblocker as extra security on my pc, but I have disabled it on TSR, to ensure that you get any revenue you need.

However, the last couple of weeks the ads have changed. It used to be amazon only. Now I'm getting other things. Right now I've got "win a mini" at the bottom, and a rather scantily clad lady at the top.
I have also installed an add on called "no script" that screens against malicious scripts, after my pc started trying to link to an ad server. I can browse the internet with no problems at all, but the moment I come on here I get no-script issuing a warning that its blocked a malacious script that is trying to cross site reference.

The ads i see on the site are all google ad based so its dependent on what i have been surfing through... so mostly shave stuff, computer stuff, bicycles, and the occasional rifles and weapons

are you the only one who uses your machine? How trust worthy is your Ad-blocker and your No-script addon many times anything claiming to "help" your computer is in fact a veiled method of inserting ones own ad/script/intrusion method into the given machines

My ad blocker and no script are the well known and respected firefox add-ons: Ad block plus, and NoScript.
I trust these.

I am not the only user, but I am the main user. The adverts appear very random, I haven't searched cars etc for years.
I can only assume that because I use no script and ad block on all sites except this one, that it has no history of me and is therefore just throwing random stuff at me.
I've ad-blocked it for a week, then we will see if anything changes. If not, I'll open all my protection except the firewall and antivirus, and search shaving supplies almost exclusively. I can cope with adverts on shaving supplies.

Only use my iPhone for the site and never get an ad or a pop up. Unfortunately I do like reading ads and would hope that some were included.

The ad-blocking software could be stopping the usual gathering of information that targets these ads to your browsing history, explaining the random ads. Also if the ad is trying to get access to your browsing history, that could flag up as malicious, a false positive if you will.

Google chrome user here, don't get any ads at all when I'm logged in. Question for the techy bods: I bookmarked the amazon link from the site and use it when I shop on amazon - will this generate some revenue for the site or would I have to use the link from the site every time instead?

hunnymonster said:
So long as you enter Amazon via a link that has the affiliate ID on it for TSR, it should count regardless of whether you do that from here or from a bookmark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ref=as_li_tf_sw?&camp=2486&linkCode=wsw&tag=shavroom-21&creative=8922

interesting will that work if i switch it to "nasty American" amazon as well?

hunnymonster said:
So long as you enter Amazon via a link that has the affiliate ID on it for TSR, it should count regardless of whether you do that from here or from a bookmark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ref=as_li_tf_sw?&camp=2486&linkCode=wsw&tag=shavroom-21&creative=8922

Aye, that's the link in my bookmarks. :icon_razz:

Sikario said:
hunnymonster said:

interesting will that work if i switch it to "nasty American" amazon as well?

Sadly not - the affiliate programmes for all Amazon instances are entirely separate - so even though you can order from Amazon Germany and the item is shipped from Dunfermline, 50 miles up the road from me in the UK (as happened to me this week) - the affiliate programmes are separate and we get nothing back from a purchase made that way.

hunnymonster said:
Sadly not - the affiliate programmes for all Amazon instances are entirely separate - so even though you can order from Amazon Germany and the item is shipped from Dunfermline, 50 miles up the road from me in the UK (as happened to me this week) - the affiliate programmes are separate and we get nothing back from a purchase made that way.

Well that blows goats...sorry bud... you woulda earned a few bucks today i bought a new shave mirror

Back
Top Bottom