'Dot' cuts when shaving

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading the previous posts to help me with my shave, however.....

Whenever I shave against the grain (which I need to do to get a close shave), I get small cuts, but not typical 'slit' cuts from the blades. Rather they are small 'dots', and when they happen I feel like the blade is pulling against my face pulling the hairs up.

This happens even with a new blade (Pro Fusion), after/during shower or bath, and is not getting to the point of driving me mad. All I want is a clean close shave but all I get is irrititation.

My shave routine is this:
Wash with warm water, splash with hot water x10, king of shaves oil, gel foam, shave in short strokes.

The cuts mainly happen under my chin and on the sides of my jaw.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'd never go atg with cartridge, recipe for ingrown hairs nicks and irritation. And that gel foam can be very irritating. You though have arrived at the right place for some great advice - you are about to go on a wonderful journey!

Too much pressure, insufficient lather/lubrication or a blunt blade would be my guess. As you're using a Fusion, it shouldn't be down to incorrect angle.

Do you shave every day? Maybe your skin just can't take it.

Also, what is your normal routine? Do you go straight in for the against the grain shave or do you shave with and across the grain first, before going against the grain?

One last thought - where did you buy your blades? If you bought them off ebay, then they may be counterfeits which could cause such a problem - I know I bought some off there a few years ago that were considerably rougher than normal.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. The blades are from Tesco, so I hope they are ok at £9 for 3.

The cuts happen even with a new blade, so I am not sure why it happens, maybe like you say its just sensitive skin.

I normally shave across the grain, then against it. Going with, and then against tends to make it worse. i shave every night, just after a shower.

What would your opinion be on the best razor then? Maybe a change of tact will help.

Many years ago, when I was still using a cartridge razor, I forgot to bring it with me when visiting my Mother. Begrudging shelling out on another one, I bought a Tesco razor instead thinking it would be no worse than the Gillette cartridge I was using at the time. How wrong could I be?! That was by far the worst shave I have ever had and personally, I would not touch a Tesco branded blade again.

As for my recommendation for a good razor, that is hard to say as it would be highly subjective - everyone is different. What suits me doesn't suit others and vice-versa. However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dropping the cartridge razor and trying an "old fashioned" DE (Double Edge) razor such as a Gillette Super Speed which is generally a good DE razor to start with.

You will find a DE hard to use to start with, but if you persevere and get the technique right, you will most likely get much better shaves than you've ever had.

Ideally, you would get a shaving brush and soap/cream to go with it. But, if you still have canned goo left, you may as well use that up first.

Don't forget, your mileage may vary - and I can't guarantee anything!

mynameisworm said:
What would your opinion be on the best razor then? Maybe a change of tact will help.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

It would be worth your time having a look at this thread

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=3328

most of the advice applicable is condensed in there (well when I say condensed I mean it's spread over 4 pages :icon_razz:) seriously though, read the initial posts by Antdad and it will guide your decision making.

Keep hitting us with questions - it's the only way to learn!

With multiblade cartridge razors it is as if you are shaving 5 times over the same place to due having 5 blades. If you then shave against the grain on a second pass, that is 10 times!

It could be that the spots you are getting are where the follicle openings are being shaved, not the hair itself as this would have retracted back into the follicle as a result of 'tug and cut' caused by the cartridge.

Generally cartridge razors can cause irritation over time.

bin your canned goo.

from almost any supermarket - get some palmolive cream, or a stick (cheaper), a cheap shaving brush ( wilkinson sword brush?).
Use these to generate your lather - probably cheaper overall than a can of foam, and much better. plenty of vids on U tube about lathering - check out mantic59.
As has been mentioned, avoid ATG passes for now, but if you have a good lather to start with, that might be half the battle.

hope that helps.

I used to get a particularly very itchy red sore patch just under my chin when I used a Gillette Sensor Xl...a razor I used for years....But since switching to DE razors and blades that has disappeared never to return......The little red dots you mention are probably small raised areas of skin...pimples if you like ....maybe caused by the multi blade....the tops are shaved off as you shave......you will perhaps still get these, they seem to accompany a very close shave...though I would expect them to be far fewer in number....

A good, mild and easy to control starter razor is a vintage Gillette Tech....used with a Feather blade....this is a very smooth combination.....a combination I use myself as part of my razor rotation.....

I would ditch the aerosol foam/gel..and get as someone has suggested a Palmolive stick and a brush....work up a thick lather in an old cup ( a lather as thick as beaten egg white/or whipped cream)this should give you a far better shave...Palmolive soap has great lubricity for the skin.....especially the cream in tubes...which you could also try..save you buying a brush.

You may find a cheap bristle brush quite prickly to use at first....I'm just warning you.....

If you go the DE route...try to get the angle of the blade right....by that I mean...look in the mirror as you use the razor and try to keep the blade at not too acute an angle to your face..so the edge slices the whiskers as opposed to scraping them off...A trick you can use is to place the razor head on your cheek,the handle sticking out at right angles to your face..then gradually lower the razor handle until the blade starts to cut the whiskers....this is somewhere near where you want to be....and don't press on too hard..a common mistake we all make when we come across from cartridge razors...let the weight of the razor do the work.....

My shave routine is...

Wet face with a hot wet flannel for 30 seconds or so....

First pass....apply lather and shave with the grain (WTG) this just takes the thick off, but the face is still quite stubbly when rinsed off...

Second pass.....re-lather face..and shave across the grain (XTG)...rinse off.....this gets rid of most of the stubble

Third pass.......re-lather face...and shave against the grain (ATG) Then final thorough rinse off...with warm water to remove soap residue then cold water to close the pores...maybe the odd touch up with a dab of soap on the fingers to get odd patches that are not quite smooth enough....usually under the jaw line with me......Then apply Witch Hazel like an aftershave splash and let dry whilst I clean my razor /bowl etc....then apply Nivea Sensitive balm...This gives me a Baby's Bum smooth shave..( BBS )...... And I have sensitive skin but very tough steel whiskers.....Hope this helps a bit....

Enjoy the luxury of the hot water and the soapy lather....This is just my Routine ..everyone has a slightly different system.

I agree with JaseB; ditch the oil and the gel.

The first thing I would advise is buying a tube of Palmolive shaving cream and a shaving brush. You can either mix the lather in a bowl or on your face. I suspect that this will improve things considerably. After that, you can look at changing your razor.

Ian

You can get the plamolive shave soap and a brush for just over £1 in Wilko's - and I noticed B&M's now have the Gillette ProGlide for £4.99, which is the best cartridge I ever tried.

I used to have the same problem - wet shaving for two consecutive days would be too much - this has not been a problem since switching the DE razors. I found that when doing a 2nd pass against the grain it helped to start on the smoothest part of my face, which for me was my cheeks, then gradually work towards my chin where my hair is at its thickest - this meant I was only shaving fairly small sections of course hair with each stroke.

Wow, thanks for all your help. I seem that DE is the way to go. I am in the middle of Wensleydale so will be doing most of my purchasing online.

I can't believe how much support there is for going DE, its not something that I have come across before. I will keep you updated as to how I get on.

Thanks again!

It's a tobbaconists on Westgate called James Barber, it's a great shop sell loads of mens trinkets and gifts, hip flasks that kind of thing. I buy the odd cigar there if I have a big win on the horses - lol

the web site is www.smoke.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom