Double lather

Hi all,

I've been speaking with my local tobacconist, with regards to trying to beat sensitivity on my lower neck. I'm new to DE so technique (or lack of) will have an effect on this sensitivity somewhere along the line, however his advice was to do the following:

Prep skin and facial hair with a hot shower

Dry excess water

Apply a POST SHAVE balm prior to shaving, and allow it to soak in

Lather up

Leave lather on for 3-4 minutes

Completely rinse off

Lather up

Go about your 3 pass shaving routine

Rinse off with hot and then cold

Go about your post shave routine.

Has anyone else heard if this double lathering technique? I haven't tried it out yet, I will be having a shave mid afternoon so I'm going to give it a whirl, I was just wondering if any of you have thoughts on this process?

Mark

I've seen lather used as a pre-shave as well as post shave cream used as pre-shave, it all adds to more hydration and bit more protection of the the skin and beard.

It's quite excessive imo so I'd perhaps introduce each element separately at first then together to see what does and doesn't work.

Hats off to the lad it's worked an absolute treat.

I made sure to stick with the exact same shave, same blade, same brush, same soap and same razor. Even used the same post shave products.

Can't knock him one bit. Going to be part of my routine from now on, worked great for me.

Would certainly recommend to anyone with a similar issue

I had a similar routine when I first returned to DE shaving. It worked but took too long.

I have reduced the routine to, hot shower, hair conditioner on the beard. The hair conditioner really hydrates and softens the beard.

I always use a Pre either 3P of my preferred Alt Innsbruck Pre- & After Shave Emulsion. I think this stuff is amassing. It lasts for ever as you only need a tiny amount, massaged into wet face.

Lather and shave.

Note I only use a blade twice I feel it helps.

Dublin

Yeah I'm similar to yourself, I feel that if I allow a 3rd shave with a blade, halfway through the second pass I get quite badly burned by the scraping rather than cutting

I've never thought of a conditioner on the beard though, good thinking, certainly another one to try out

Mark

Yeah- I was talking to my friend at the weekend who lathers his beard and leaves it for a few minutes before washing it off and starting again. Thus far, I've always shaved the first lather off.... interesting! But as AntDad said I'd be looking to reduce my DE shaving time ....

Have you tried skipping the hot shower and all of those extra steps. Then just cold water shaving and face lathering?

Maybe just a tiny bit of shaving oil on the area that gets irritation as a pre shave, if that doesn't work on its own.

I've never tried cold water shaving,I've heard it's quite harsh and prompts razor bumps?

What sort if shaving oils would people recommend?

My 'Sunday morning special' involves a lovely wash, then creating a good lather which I rub into my face for 2 minutes whilst my wet towel (to which I have added a pea sized amount of Vicks vaporub) us microwaving (2 mins).

Then apply wet Towel to lathered face and relax for another 2 mins.

Then rinse face, reapply lather and shave...

Bloody lovely

justcallmegreg said:
My 'Sunday morning special' involves a lovely wash, then creating a good lather which I rub into my face for 2 minutes whilst my wet towel (to which I have added a pea sized amount of Vicks vaporub) us microwaving (2 mins).

Bloody lovely

That sounds amazing! It's certainly something I'm going to give a go

justcallmegreg said:

Bloody lovely

do you rub into the skin with the brush or your hand?

just did the double lather nice results was with a weeks worth of shave too normally like to do a shave every 3 days but since breaking my foot showers are far from sight but a very smooth results will defo do again

Back
Top Bottom