Dry lining a cellar

I remember quite a while ago there was a thread on this, with lots of useful info. Armed with my new bosch combi drill, I'm tempted to try this. But I can't find the thread, not matter what I search under.
Does anyone know where it's gone? I'm a bit thrown by how to seal around the gas and electricity meters that are in there.....

Exactly that...just dry line around the utilities, you can either box them in yourself or purchase a specific enclosure to fit after.

Are you dry lining a dry cellar to make it look better or is the cellar danp, (even slightly)? If it is you will need to "tank" the cellar to ensure that any damp does not get worse and is allowed to dry out otherwise all you hard work will be for nothing. Slightly more involved, but not impossible. Remember if there are air bicks in the cellar do not box them in as this will cause damp in the future. A buiding needs to brethe.

I want to make it look better and it is also damp. The bricks are corroded and crumbly, and there are damp patches on the floor. I was thinking of the knobbly membrane here, http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/waterproofing-membranes-products.html?productPage=1 stuck on with membrane plugs and then wooden battens screwed into the membrane plugs, then plasterboard screwed onto the wooden battens.
It's the details that flummox me, like how to make it look tidy at the top of the wall, how to join it to the ceiling - how to make the ceiling, and how to seal around the meters and electric sockets.

Thanks for the advice. What I'm worried about also is whether I need to install one of those drain pipes with the holes in leading into a sump with pump....I'm not sure the Bosch could deal with all that. The walls themselves don't look particularly damp, although many of the bricks are very friable. The main damp seems to be in various patches on the floor.

You mean a cellar pump that removes groundwater from membrane systems?

Installing a groundwater clearing system would be a challenge for even experiences DIY'ers and will require heavy duty work as well as tools.

I suspect Sarah Beany has a lot to answer for here, that scaremongering so and so. Now that amateur property development isn't viable she's now convincing homeowners that their houses need major works.

I'd take further advice about your actual requirements as I doubt a bit of floor/cellar damp will need that sort of action.

Yes Antad is right about it being a challenge even for a experienced DIY, i'm a carpenter, and the most basic and important thing you can do to your cellar would be is get some air and ventalation through there, you would be surprised how quickly it would dry out, but before any plaster board or any other kind of DIY, focus purely on the damp. there's some good video's for pointers on you tube regarding damp cellars.

Jamie.

I sit corrected Skinglider. Right now I'm lost in a world of battens, plasterboard, embedding tape on joints, and wondering whether strong large bubbled bubblewrap would really be any different in effect (at least on the walls where it is not under significant stress) to the real stuff......I have a giant roll of the stuff here, and if I had the special screws, I'ld be down there now testing it out. I think if I burst the bubbles where the battens would go on the 'dry' side, they should still maintain an impervious sheet. I could of course be wrong.......
The main things still confusing me are the problems of the sockets and lights and meters and burglar alarm box, which will all need to be accommodated somehow. I think as far as the sockets go, I need to get them detached from the wall, so I can get them embedded in the plasterboard, and as much of the wiring on the dry side of the membrane, as possible. I believe there are things called 'back boxes' that will do the trick. However, I will need to get someone who knows about such things to sort that as I don't like to mess with electricity about which I know nothing apart from how to change a plug. Risking wall to wall mould is one thing, but death underground by electrocution is a different kettle of fish.

Kanga.

DrillMast_p.jpg

"Can drill through media ranging from soils and clays to solid rock"

Only teasing.

There are all sorts of electrical "back boxes", you want a dry lining box. If your not sure about the position of each socket make a template out of card or paper and transfer to the plasterboard then cut the socket recess out with a dry wall saw (cheap but necessary)

107587_0.jpg

How are you actually going to handle the board, even a thin 8 x 4 sheet is heavy and awkward? I'd consult a sparky or competent person to isolate your basement electrics and check that the sockets and lighting that you are dry walling over.

antdad said:
There are all sorts of electrical "back boxes", you want a dry lining box. If your not sure about the position of each socket make a template out of card or paper and transfer to the plasterboard then cut the socket recess out with a dry wall saw (cheap but necessary)

107587_0.jpg

How are you actually going to handle the board, even a thin 8 x 4 sheet is heavy and awkward? I'd consult a sparky or competent person to isolate your basement electrics and check that the sockets and lighting that you are dry walling over.

Ist thing is to find out and eradicate the damp, make sure the cellar is ventilated so the damp does not come back otherwise your work will be all in vain. Any electrical work must be checked by a qualified electrician. I think you need to sort out the damp before you go wasting time and money dry lining the cellar...........boxing in is easy, as is fitting and joining the ceiling (if you have one).........of not again plasterboard and skim the whole room. It is a heck of a DIY job to take on tho.........:icon_razz::icon_razz:...........good luck Sharon.

Sounds like you have what I terms as a "wet" cellar, i.e. when the water table rises you get puddling and when it drops it dries out.

Whatever you do you are going to be battling against nature which isn't easy, I often see attempts to make walls/areas that are below ground level dry and frequently it fails, despite having had a load of money thrown at it.

I agree with the ventilation idea but also I think that you might be better off living with what you have than trying to make it something else. Sorry JMHO.

Need to sort the damp problem first,then the ventilation,then i wouldnt use plasterboard at all i would replaster the walls useing a product called limelight,its bloody awesome stuff...google it.

Back
Top Bottom