Edwin Jagger Black Badger Brush

I have been using this brush since Xmas 2010 and I have noticed that the end of the hairs are not as even as they were when new. I mean it looked like a consistent fan, nice and round but not some are shorter some are the original length.
My question is: is it normal? I have used the brush cca up to 20x. Truth is, I'm not using the producer prescribed back and forth motion but the classic whipping round motion to create lather.
Note: I have not found broken off pieces in the soap, where (I guess) it should remain if broken off...

No worries, the hair ends split (like with human hair :D) and it actually gets better when that happens (better abillity to suck water and soap). When it happens the brush has broken in.

Mikael said:
No worries, the hair ends split (like with human hair :D) and it actually gets better when that happens (better abillity to suck water and soap). When it happens the brush has broken in.

I didn't think badger hair does split in the way boar does.

Sounds like the hairs are breaking rather than splitting. Maybe you're being a bit too vigorous lathering up. Even if you are it surprises me that they are breaking so soon on a new brush.

Yellow Jim said:
Mikael said:

I didn't think badger hair does split in the way boar does.

Sounds like the hairs are breaking rather than splitting. Maybe you're being a bit too vigorous lathering up. Even if you are it surprises me that they are breaking so soon on a new brush.

Maybe not as much as boar, but they do. The hair ends kind of knurls back, if it makes sense. That´s my experience anyway... Maybe Peter or Tony or some one else could chim in ... :D

I read somewhere that Silvertip will show split ends but not hair from other parts of the Badger.
To improve insulation around the neck apparently.
regards, beejay

Yep, I've have some badger brushes that show splitting. The bleaching treatment probably doesn't help.

If you don't think the hair ends have broken (unlikely) then I suspect they weren't that even to begin with and you've only noticed this now the brush has started to bloom. Nothing to worry about.

I have the exact same brush... it started to perform really well about mid January once I'd owned it about 2-3 weeks. Mine is also uneven... no worries, it's like Antdad says, it's a normal part of the brushes life. It's "bloomed", that's all. It'll stay that shape for life now it's settled.

Don't forget these brushes are at the cheaper end so they won't have as much attention paid to them in sorting the hair length etc. I agree with the above in that they were probably different lengths to begin with but you only notice it now the brush is blooming. I used my EJ black badger brush for over a year daily and it lasted very well given it's relatively low cost.

Back
Top Bottom