Edwin Jagger products, your views please.

Hi everyone, I'll apologise for the newbie questions now.

So today is the first time I've spent any decent time looking into shaving and one name that keeps popping up is Edwin Jagger. I'm not made of money so I was looking at purchasing some Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera Traditional Shaving Soap along with an Edwin Jagger Badger Shaving Brush in the region of £25.

So here are my questions.

1. Am I on the right track?

2. If so can someone tell me if there is a particular model brush I should be looking at?

3. How long should the soap last?(Going back to not being made of money)

give me £28.50 and ill sell you a rod neep brush...he is a member here and sells this for £40 and ill give you some soap..(cade brand new....around £9.50) and some blades

http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving/brush-guinness.html the one on the left

EJ razors are great. Their brushes and soaps are less good IMO.

Taylor of old bond street are great soaps for not a huge amount.
Brushes - Newforest (made by Fido on here) are great, if you drop him a PM I am sure he would talk you through the best brush for your needs/wallet.
Or that deal from N1vlo is excellent value.

I've got an EJ best badger brush... probably similar to the one you're thinking of buying.
I think it's fine... lost about two hairs in the first week, and no more since. It's sort of fluffed up nicely. I use it for bowl lathering cream and then painting on my face. I've got no complaints and I think it's a good enough newbie brush.
I've bought a travel tube, so it'll probably be relegated to a travel brush... by then I may have worked out my own preferences for the next stage upwards.

As for the creams, I think that a bit of brand loyalty will save a lot of money and pain. I like TOBS stuff. If I get fed up in the future, I'll think about something else.

Hiya,

Can't speak for the EJ brushes, although I remember one model was supposedly the same starter ($30) badger brush as what C&E was selling in their stores years ago. These usually got a very good review and were recommended highly. Now I have no idea what model that was, but just sayin.

I like the soap. The Sea Buckthorn scent is really quite nice......smells a little of mango like fruit, in a good way. Performance is fine. I will use it on occasion for a nice change of pace and would suggest you give one a try.

If I hadda guess, there will be around 30 shaves or a bit more in that small puck.

Martin

I have an EJ pure badger brush - was my 1st brush (only have 1 other, Vulfix 404 Grosvenor bristle & badger which is great value at around £10 and works a treat with soaps). The EJ is a bit floppy as others have said but I find it fine for face or bowl lathering creams. Dare say I'll upgrade to a New Forest, Rod Neep or similar at some point, but those 2 have done me fine so far. I also fancy trying a decent boar and a horse hair, but have resisted the slippery slope of BAD so far.

n1vlo's offer seems like a good-un to me.

The razors are very popular (although I found it draggy and slippery, but very well made and finished). I have a tortoise shell bristle brush which I bought new for £8. It's lost a few hairs and wuite a lot stick out at odd angles, even when new, but it does what I want and was worth what I paid. I'm no brush expert though.

My first brush was a cheap Jagger black badger, I used it exclusively for about 6 months and I still use it sometimes now, there is nothing wrong with them at all. Sure, I now have better brushes, ones that lather that bit quicker and that have more of a feel of luxury, but I've paid way more for them. For a budget brush it does the job well... and let's face it, they just mix lather, your shave won't be any worse. No-one will ever see you walking down the street and think "I bet he used a Jagger brush, I can see his stubble".

Get something better if you want to and if you can afford it, but if you have Edwin Jagger money, don't let anyone tell you that your shaving experience will be a lot worse for using one.

Can't help on the smellies, I've never owned any. The razors are great by the way.

Guys thanks for the replies appreciate it.

n1vlo, thanks for the offer but after looking at my money situation at the moment I'm gonna be putting this on my Xmas list as we're currently saving for our holiday to America in March next year. When I start getting into something new I do get carried away and usually jump the gun a bit :(

Regarding those Rod Neep brushes, do they only come in that marble effect? I ask because I think I've settled on an ivory handle.

Canuck, good point well made. I think I'll go ahead and buy what I like the look of first time around. If it works well for me then great but if it doesn't then I'll have a much better idea of what I'm looking for next time :)

Ben Cooper said:
I think I'll go ahead and buy what I like the look of first time around. If it works well for me then great but if it doesn't then I'll have a much better idea of what I'm looking for next time :)

That's the way I tend to do things and it works pretty well

Rod Neep brushes to me seem to be about appearance. He seems to unite a very competent knot with a beautiful handle. If you're after an ivory handle then you would be in luck with New Forest brushes, as Fido seems to go for a very competent knot, but with a less ostentatious handle. Rod's handles are awesome, but I don't think Fido's brushes would give you a worse shave.

I'd go for one of Fido's at New Forest Brushes, and you may find you don't want another brush, but it won't put a hole in your pocket.

Only my opinion of course! :)

WiffWaff said:
Ben Cooper said:
I think I'll go ahead and buy what I like the look of first time around. If it works well for me then great but if it doesn't then I'll have a much better idea of what I'm looking for next time :)

That's the way I tend to do things and it works pretty well

Glad to hear it!

NotTheStig, loving the avatar by the way! Used to play C&C all the time and was always GDI :D

Back
Top Bottom