EverReady streamline - do i replate or not???

Hi I picked up an EverReady Steamline over the week end from the famous auction site - received today, seems to be in reasonable nick apart from some brassing on the top etc. This wasnt described in the auction nor shown in the pictures.

I know Streamlines can be hard to get hold of so not really bothered with the hassle of returning it - but like my tools to be perfection :) Yes i know this is an old razor.

So was thinking of having it re-plated - thought i would see if this was advisable or people thought a stupid idea?

if a good idea - is it best to stick to the nickel/silver colour - or do we go extravagant and may be get it re-plated in black chrome??? (think it make the razor look very mean in black)

If it was to be re-plated - does this affect its re-sale value or collect-ability???

Also anyone have recommendations for a replater in the UK?

thanks in advance.

I'd say it's totally up to you what you do. I'd say that it could affect it's re-sale value though, often collectors want things in their original state. If you're not planning on selling it though, do what you fancy. I've seen one re-plated in Rhodium, looked great, I'd imagine black chrome would look good too.

I know what you're saying about liking perfection. Luckily my Streamline has no brassing but I've had razors re-plated that perhaps didn't need it, but they weren't 100% so I had them replated anyway.

UK based replaters...look no further than Dave at RestoredRazors, I've had a couple of razors replated by him and the work is terriffic. He's a member here too!

Streamline are good quality razors so I think you will be adding value in getting it re-plated. Personally I'd go no further than applying the original finish - but then again, I've never seen black chrome so what do I know?

Thanks Rob - I think the Streamline is a mean looking razor and for me a dark colour would just set this off :)

Its like buying a car some colours make the car look meaner other soften the edges etc - sad i know.

UKRob said:
Streamline are good quality razors so I think you will be adding value in getting it re-plated. Personally I'd go no further than applying the original finish - but then again, I've never seen black chrome so what do I know?

antdad said:
Could somebody post a pic of a black chromed razor that looks decent cos I don't think I've seen one.

Its a bit of an odd finish to photograph, the black chrome I've got is more of a gunmetal sort of colour. I'm going to spin up a smooth handle tonight, try it with the black chrome and see if I can get a representative picture of it.

i think it very much depends on the razor - i like a gunmetal colour -

here is one on Executive shaving that they had for sale - i really do believe that the object has to match the colour - dont believe the black chrome does the fatboy justice in this picture.

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/vintage-1960-f-2-gillette-fatboy-safety-razor-black-chrome-plated.php

Look at this thread on B&B - the razors that this gentleman has had plated do suit the colour.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355024-Stainless-replated-in-black-chrome

The nature of black chrome is that it seems to work well on curved flat organic shapes where it can enhance the curves and deep shadow as it can on alloy wheels but from what I can tell it does little to enhance detail, especially minute detail like knurl on a razor handle.

Back
Top Bottom